Advice and tips for year 7 starter

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MissusMack

Advice and tips for year 7 starter

Post by MissusMack »

DC is super nervous about starting new school and I'm pretty anxious about making sure his first weeks and months go well. Anyone got any tip and hints please?

Thanks in advance :D
tiffinboys

Re: Advice and tips for year 7 starter

Post by tiffinboys »

He will be fine. Children are very resilient. Is any other child from your primary going to same school? Have you got class list? Can your child meet up some other child living nearby in his new class?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

They all feel the same. My DD did last year. Within a few days, she wondered what all the fuss was about.

I got my DD a book about moving up to secondary school, all her friends mums wanted to borrow it for their DDs too. Can't remember the name but I think it is purple. (Lent out to more friends we think. Can't find it)

Best tips, try and be organised. Smile (but not too manically ) and generally be nice to people.
MissusMack

Post by MissusMack »

tiffinboys wrote:He will be fine. Children are very resilient. Is any other child from your primary going to same school? Have you got class list? Can your child meet up some other child living nearby in his new class?
DC only got the offer for school a couple of days ago - on waiting list - missed the induction days. One other child transferring from primary school but they are in different classes.

Yes DC will be fine but feels a little out of it missing inductions.
MissusMack

Post by MissusMack »

Tinkers wrote:They all feel the same. My DD did last year. Within a few days, she wondered what all the fuss was about.

I got my DD a book about moving up to secondary school, all her friends mums wanted to borrow it for their DDs too. Can't remember the name but I think it is purple. (Lent out to more friends we think. Can't find it)

Best tips, try and be organised. Smile (but not too manically ) and generally be nice to people.
Thanks. DC is quite sociable and a easy-going but this is a little out of comfort zone,
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

We took a trip on the bus today, so DS knew the route and where to get off and on. Ok, it wasn't at school time - strangely no-one was up for an 8am start - but it gave him a good idea of what to expect. Just got to purchase the bus pass now - ouch! :shock:

JD
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

The nice older children at my DDs induction told her that the induction day was the scariest and actual school start was much more fun! And she enjoyed the induction anyway. Really appreciated that, my elder dd got told to F off by the year 9s at hers (different school).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

the schools in Skipton have just years 7,12 + 13 in on the very first day - the 6th formers are sorting out their timetables and subjects etc and pointing year 7's in the right direction. School much quieter than it would be on a normal day so year &s feel more confident.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

JamesDean wrote:We took a trip on the bus today, so DS knew the route and where to get off and on. Ok, it wasn't at school time - strangely no-one was up for an 8am start - but it gave him a good idea of what to expect. Just got to purchase the bus pass now - ouch! :shock:

JD

How I yearn to live somewhere away from the 7am commuter madness on buses and trains and roads, perhaps I should buy a microlite?

Op...your boy will be just tickerdyboo, barely anyone remembers anything about induction day, except what they ate for lunch!
Every one is quiet for a few weeks, then the extrovert (read: shout in your face) kids surface, then the average sociable lot find their voices, then the quiet ones assert themselves, finally by the back end of year 8 the shy, introverted children find their feet.
Had he missed the first few weeks, it nay have been scarier, but just his induction day, no problem, my very shy boy actually felt far more confident at the start, when most were quiet, than further into the year. :(

Good luck, brilliant news by the way. :D
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

One other child transferring from primary school but they are in different classes.
DD was in exactly this position too and missed induction day through illness. It honestly wasn't a problem and 5 years on, she has a lovely group of friends. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now