Bubble Wrap

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NotionPotion

Bubble Wrap

Post by NotionPotion »

Don,t know about anyone else but feel like I should wrap my child up in bubble wrap and then place her in a germ-free bubble until the 11 + is over. She did her practice test ok yesterday morning but then came home from school with the beginings of a stinking cold I think, feeling shivery/"Flobby" etc....hope it doesn,t develop into anything worse and that she recovers in time for the real test on Tuesday! Aghhh!....

Incidentally, if she did feel terrible on tuesday what do I do? Does she have the chance to do it again or would I just have to let her do it and send in a letter of mitigating circumstances? etc.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Goodness I sympathise. When my eldest sat his 11plus 2 years ago I justified keeping him off school for a day at the start of the autumn term in Year 6 to go to a cricket match because "he's never ill". Talk about tempting fate! He had about 2 bouts of tonsilities and a dose of flu in the run up to the tests in November. I'd considered the scenario of him being ill and knew that I shouldn't then send him in for the tests. What I hadn't considered was that he would be off school for the whole week before the tests and just about be well enough to go back the day before the tests, but really in a very washed out and not fully fit state. He struggled through the first 2 and then caught another cold at the weekend which carried on all through the 2nd week of tests.

This is why when people in Bexley grumble about the proposal to have selection tests in September (because it's too close to the summer holidays) I get very tetchy!!! I'd rather have my child fit and healthy and a little rusty (as most children will be) than fighting off all the bugs that have started to circulate by November.

Your daughter should be able to sit the test at a later date if she's unwell but why not double-check with the school just to be on the safe side.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Notion Potion,

I know exactly how you feel.

Son did practice test at Wirral Grammar yesterday morning and was fine.

Got a call from his school at 2.20p.m. to pick him up. He had a raging temperature and felt generally unwell. Was back to normal again this morning though so I don't know what that was!!

Let's just hope they are all o.k. for next two weeks, if they are unwell they can take it at a later date but best to get it over with I feel.

When my daughter took it 2 years ago, there was a boy in her class who's mind went blank whilst sitting the test, not ill but upset, and it was arranged that he take it again at a later date. Not sure of exact details but it makes me feel that they are quite accommodating.

Good Luck

Scatshouse.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now