Epidural experiences

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MamaBear

Epidural experiences

Post by MamaBear »

Hi, I'm expecting baby no4 and I thought I'd have an epidural after previously only having gas and air with the other 3.

What is it like?!
Brum Mum

Re: Epidural experiences

Post by Brum Mum »

MamaBear wrote:Hi, I'm expecting baby no4 and I thought I'd have an epidural after previously only having gas and air with the other 3.

What is it like?!
I had one, and then a top up (was prepped for emergency c section). Couldn't feel a thing for about two days!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

That's what I was worried about- not being able to get up and have a shower. Also I've heard some ladies had really bad back pain after their epidural.
I'm just scaring myself now, child birth is so painful!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

No back pain here although being asked to curl up tight with a large bump and strong contractions was interesting. I think I made my feelings clear to the anaesthetist. Long time ago though.

Congratulations!
scary mum
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Aww thanks scary mum!
Hera

Post by Hera »

I had epidural for the first as a c-section and had terrible back pain for months after; gas and air for number 2 which made me throw up, nothing at all for number 3 as it all happened so fast. For me the nothing at all was the best but everyone reacts to things differently. My advice based on my experience would be to avoid an epidural if you can.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Oh Hera that is what my sister says, she's expecting too, a month before me. DC3 was induced and oh my goodness the contractions came so fast bam bam bam!
Watching programmes like One born every minute does not help at all!
Thank you all for your advice.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Haven't had an epidural as such, but had a lumbar puncture some years ago (really bad experience, it caused screaming headaches afterwards whenever I was anything other than horizontal)

Vowed never to let anyone put a needle in my spine again.

DD had other ideas. She was a footling breech and refused to turn round. I had to have an elective C section, so had a spinal anaesthetic. I'd discussed, at length, why this was really not in my plans, and they were very good at explaining why the headache happened and what they could do if it happened again. No problems. (But words are had with DD on a frequent basis :lol: )

My sister had an epidural, not for childbirth, but for stitching her up afterwards. It has caused her back problems since.

If you have coped with the pain before (says she who hasn't experienced the pains of childbirth, just the post op pain of a c section) then you know what you and your body can stand.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

same as scary mum - for an undiagnosed extended breech baby.

Can't imagine why I never has a second!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I read about a mobile epidural, where you can walk around during the delivery, I wonder if its available at Wycombe hospital.

Having said that I don't really want to be dealing with chronic backpain with a newborn, and a toddler.

Hmm will have to see, lots of time, I'm still in my first trimester. DH is baffled as to why I have to plan everything to the nth degree.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now