Moving OUT of catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MamaBear

Moving OUT of catchment area

Post by MamaBear »

Hello, apologies if this has been answered before, I tried searching for the answer but to no avail.

My question is will moving out of the catchment area affect ds who attends the local grammar?
Im very happy in our cosy (small!) house but dh has his heart set on moving to a rambling big old place in Thame.

The commute will not be terrible but I'm worried it will jeopardize our son's place. The area in Thame is 13 miles from the school, straight down the M40.

Many thanks.
Tinkers

Re: Moving OUT of catchment area

Post by Tinkers »

Once a child is in a school, then it don't think they are obliged to leave if they move out of catchment. In fact in many schools ooc children will have got in anyway. My DD was ooc for her primary (despite being less than 100m away but that's another matter :roll: ). In fact it actually happens around here a fair bit as people move in catchment for the local comp to get a place, then move out later, as there's quite a difference in house prices.

The only issue maybe if it's done very soon after starting school (Reading council have a tendency to investigate such cases I believe, with a view to checking fraudulent applications).
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thank you for your reply Tinkers. I will do my best to dissuade dh!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't think it will be a problem except that the M40 is not a reliable journey in the morning ....

Do you really want an old house with a new baby ... ?
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

No I don't. I'm happy for baby to be born here and I like being squashed together.

DH wants to buy a big house unfortunately it will be a building site for a good year and I can only imagine that will affect the boys studies.

Right, I'm off to dig my heels in and use my feminine charms!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Definitely fine, you will be able to drop him in risborough and he can get the school buses from there. Don't even contemplate the m40 for that journey.

Dh used every one of his paternity leave months to do major building work, it was embarrassing, the midwife laughed at the sink held up with breeze blocks!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Ok thats good to know about the buses SB3. I love your posts they always make me chuckle.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I definitely have a mental image of SB3's life/home/family. I hope it is all true :)
scary mum
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My boys have grown up in building sites. They don't really notice mess and disruption, their bedrooms at anyone time are proof of this :roll: so wouldn't worry too much about it effecting their studies. The week I gave birth to No3 we had no kitchen and a new boiler was being put in, not recommended :lol:

p.s rambling house requiring work sounds just my cup of tea so if you decide not to send the link my way :wink:
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

You are brave Tolstoy. My boys would love the building site mess but as it is it takes all my energy to keep them on task. Add a strong willed toddler to that and it doesn't sound very appealing.