Scrap paper dilemma

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glparent

Scrap paper dilemma

Post by Glparent »

Hoping for some clarity here please - I'm a little perplexed about the issue of scrap paper being used in this new CEM exam.

A friend's child is sitting the test at Pate's and has a letter clearly stating that scrap paper WILL be provided. However, the letter from HSFG states that scrap will NOT be available and that children can write on the question paper.

My understanding was that all grammar schools in Gloucestershire ran the tests identically - these letters with conflicting rules seem to imply that's not the case, wholly unfair on the children! :shock:

Am I worrying over nothing? Thoughts anyone?
capers123

Re: Scrap paper dilemma

Post by capers123 »

I'm sure it will be consistant between the schools come exam day, but I'd suggest contacting both schools to ask, pointing out what the other school says.
Capers
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Interesting point ! yes I think you should pursue.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Definitely pursue this. Historically you can't write on the papers. However for many children it is an essential. My dyslexic DS3 needs to be able to underline complex words and split them into rhythms, so not writing on a CEM paper would put him at a serious disadvantage. I am sure he is not alone in this. Thankfully in Bucks it was not an issue.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Good Morning. The rains gonna stop soon and we are heading off to the park later....hooray. I still can't help dwelling on the scrap paper issue. Has anyone contacted school to ask? I've been telling DS to underline key words and facts in comprehension. This will be time consuming if they only get scrap paper and can't write on test paper. I'd like to manage his expectations if possible
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

This is worrying me a bit now. DS likes to write on the question paper, especially using the alphabet which is printed at the top of appropriate VR questions and using arrows on the coding questions. He also likes to underline and circle words in comprehension. I don't recall this being a problem when my first two children did the old exams. I am really hoping that it won't be this time. Better not to ask....
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Tinnyknickers you sound as if you are practicing the old style VR types. The ones you are talking about don't usually turn up on CEM.
chumba

Post by chumba »

Just for information - received an e-mail from Ribston regarding test day, which says not allowed scrap paper. Will be able to make notes and workings on the white space within each section of the question booklet. Only allowed an HB pencil, eraser and a pencil sharpener.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

SHS say just 2 pencils and rubber, I did wonder about a sharpener. I notice both Pates and Ribston have sent additional communications but SHS have not and will not be sending anything further, I find it a little odd there is a bit on inconsistency there.

I am glad they can write on the question paper :)
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

" Candidates can use the question booklet for rough working, but should not write any working out on the answer sheet."

That's directly copied from the Gloucestershire familiarisation booklet so that must mean that all schools will have to allow the children to highlight, underline and mess around with the question paper to their hearts content. Hooray :D :wink: :lol: