coursework

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

coursework

Post by Tolstoy »

If a DC joins a school mid GCSE and it has X% of coursework content at the end of Y10 can they take that component at a later date? I never was a fan of this modular business and frankly really cheesed off that it penalises children who are forced to move mid GCSE year :evil:
Guest55

Re: coursework

Post by Guest55 »

Controlled coursework should be able to be rescheduled as it's under the school's control when they do it. In Science they often do more than is needed so they can use the highest graded ones.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks G55. He scored well on the practice papers you suggested so am guessing apart from physics he has covered most of the science syllabus despite only having done double. He will want to do triple though now he has the opportunity.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DS's class could even come in during the Easter holiday (year 11) to re-do one if they wanted so it depends on the school. Of course it is in their interest to get a students to complete all controlled assignments to a good standard.

Ask the school ...
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Will do, thanks. Although it is an interesting thought that if they can do this course work in Y11 there is no excuse for some Grammars to be refusing students entry into Y11. :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Perhaps its the gaps they are worried about? There's only two terms left to cover the courses. Perhaps a reduced number of GCSEs would solve the problem? At least all GCSEs are terminal exams and no modules now.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think it is gaps and I totally understand that but I do wish they wouldn't have blanket policies. How do they know if they are not even prepared to check the syllabus the child has been following and what that DC already knows?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now