Time carried forward between Sections of the same CEM paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

deontological

Time carried forward between Sections of the same CEM paper

Post by deontological »

Greetings to All! It has been a very long while since I last visited the Forum and I am delighted to see that it is continuing its great job in offering anxious parents helpful advice and practical tips as well as sharing valuable information.

My two elder children have been very lucky and are enjoying their time at Kendrick and Reading. And now my youngest DS will soon embark upon that dreaded journey of attending his 11+ on Saturday 13th next month at Reading, sitting the new CEM-styled exams with two ~50-minute papers.

Each paper is subdivided into timed sections with the overall exam/paper taking approximately 45-50 minutes to complete. Does anyone know whether the children are allowed to go back to any of the previous sections to review answers already provided and/or amend any solutions they have given?

This is an important factor affecting the relevant exam techniques in that my DS, like most children, will have his strengths and weaknesses and will bound to be able to complete certain sections much quicker/more efficiently than other sections and therefore the ability to go back to earlier sections will be very helpful to the candidates.
There's no better time than now.
SingleDad

Re: Time carried forward between Sections of the same CEM pa

Post by SingleDad »

Hi

As far as I am aware, children are not allowed to visit previous sections.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Each section is timed so once the time is over students cannot return to that section. They are designed to show what a student can do in that section in that time. DG
deontological

Post by deontological »

SingleDad wrote:As far as I am aware, children are not allowed to visit previous sections.
Many thanks, SingleDad. Presumably if children are not allowed to visit previous sections, they are also not allowed to "turn over to the new section(s) until they have been asked to" and visit the next section(s).

One more question: Does anyone know if the Reading CEM tests follow the multiple-choice format (where a separate answer sheet is provided) or the "write-in" format where children make their choice as they work through the questions?
There's no better time than now.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

deontological wrote:One more question: Does anyone know if the Reading CEM tests follow the multiple-choice format (where a separate answer sheet is provided) or the "write-in" format where children make their choice as they work through the questions?
Hi,

Taken from one of my other threads......

Taken from the Kendrick Familiarisation booklet 'Answering the questions
• All answers are to be completed on the separate answer sheet. Answers should not be written on the question
booklet.'

So looks like the children will need to read the Question paper then cross over to an Answer Booklet and mark the answers on there. Do they then need to mark the numerical numbers with both the answer ie. 38 and then put a line through 3 and through 8??? That would be just evil :twisted:

So they have to be quick at answering the questions, answer them accurately and then accurately transfer the correct answers over to the answer sheet..........this is too much :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now