further maths vs FSMQ

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

further maths vs FSMQ

Post by JaneEyre »

May I ask the difference of level between further maths at GCSE level and FSMQ (Free Standing Maths Qualifiction)?
Are the topics in each qualification very different?
Which one is a best introduction to AS maths?
Do pupils who study these usually go on with further maths at AS if they have been studious?
Thanks in advance
Guest55

Re: further maths vs FSMQ

Post by Guest55 »

Which syllabus for GCSE further maths or is it 'twin award'?

Personally, I think that if all GCSE is taught properly (some schools don't teach all the A* content) and an A* is achieved then that is a secure basis without anything else.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DD did FSMQ and then AS (and then A2) Maths. She said it helped 'masses' and it was 'basically the same syllabus' as the AS (OCR MEI). I think it is regarded as 'beyond' a GCSE as it attracts a higher number of UCAS points (I think?) and you can't get an A*.

She had no desire to study further maths at A level so can't comment on that, nor on alternative qualifications.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DS did FSMQ and said it helped with AS/A2 - top mark is an A
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

DD did AQA Further Maths this year (Y11) having done GCSE last year.

Her maths teacher told her it was about 2/3 of the way towards an AS, so based on the (admittedly small :D ) sample of of my daughter and Amber's daughter, it sounds like the FSMQ is the harder qualification…

FWIW DD is not planning to continue with maths to A level, but is doing chemistry and biology so wanted to get a good set of grades in maths, further maths and statistics GCSEs.

HTH
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yeah I don't think DD would claim it was 2/3 of an AS to be honest Rob - it helped masses with the Core modules I think. She still seemed to have to work pretty damn hard to get the AS! I know that the FSMQ was hard and several of her cohort decided not to take the exam when the time came. The A boundaries tend to be quite low I think, reflecting the difficulty, but she enjoyed the challenge. Or so she says now. :D

DS's school appears to be studying the syllabus for the FSMQ alongside the GCSE one and students will have the choice to ask their parents to pay for them to enter it next year. Or should I take it from his pocket money...?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Oh, make him pay. Refund for an A… :lol:

edited cos I realise he can't get an A*
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I think the AQA further maths is a level 2 qualification and FSMQ is level 3, which makes it harder.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You might be surprised to hear me say that I can't see the point of these additional qualifications to students.

Teach GCSE well and there is NO ISSUE with the jump to AS ...

Students do quite enough exams as it is and it does cause issues in Year 12 with different experiences beginning the AS course; students feeling 'behind' and 'rubbish' because they are meeting ideas for the first time. I've also found some good students are 'put off' maths by some of the content which, imho, is better left to the sixth form.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

2childmum wrote:I think the AQA further maths is a level 2 qualification and FSMQ is level 3, which makes it harder.
Having looked into this recently I agree.

The fsmq (ocr) is a funny beast, DS1 did it, a kind of mini AS, but vif you can cope a good grounding for AS.

DS2 will be starting the twin pair maths and further maths with an option for fsmq to follow, how many maths exams do you need in life. :lol: