GCSE Controlled Assessment Remark

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
WFW1112

GCSE Controlled Assessment Remark

Post by WFW1112 »

My DS recently got his GCSE ICT (OCR) results, and was very disappointed with the Controlled Assessment part of his course. He was awarded a C, despite being predicted an A. He also got an A* in his written exam, which left him with a B overall, 2 UMS marks away from an A. He felt that he had done better than a C in his Controlled Assessment, and so went to his Head of Department to request a remark. He was refused a remark on the grounds that when a sample of the schools Controlled Assessments were sent off to be moderated, the marks awarded by the teacher were not changed by the exam board, supposedly showing that all the marks for the school were awarded correctly. His work was not among the work sent off for moderation.
Our understanding of the moderation process is that the school sends off a sample of all the Controlled Assessments to the exam board, and if the exam board deems the marks in those to have been awarded correctly, they assume that this has been the case for the whole school, and do not see any more Controlled Assessments.
My question therefore is whether or not anyone knows for what possible reason the school would not allow my son's work to be remarked by an examiner? Do we have any right to insist that the school file for a remark for his Controlled Assessment?

Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated.
Guest55

Re: GCSE Controlled Assessment Remark

Post by Guest55 »

Hello - the exam board request a sample of controlled assessments according to certain rules. This is often the highest, lowest and the names the board requests; unless it is a small group when all pieces are sent.

The exam board must have agreed with the marks given by the school for all the pieces in the sample so they agreed with all the others. This means the school cannot have awarded an A for the controlled assessment or your son would have been given that mark.

I'm sorry that controlled assessments cannot be reviewed unless the school requests it for all students.
Ally

Post by Ally »

I've been looking into this as well. As approx 30 students at DS's school have suffered the effects a very heavy handed moderation. In previous years the school marks for control assessments in GCSE stats have never been modified, But DS's controlled assessment was at an A* and got downgraded to a B!! The school are trying to investigate what has happened as the examiners report didn't give any clues. Based on the schools record in previous years for consistent marking, they're hopeful that something can be done, Finger crossed.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ally - that is a different situation as your school did not agree with the moderator. The whole set will probably have to be sent off and a senior moderator will look at them.
WFW1112

Post by WFW1112 »

Thanks Guest55 for your explanation, it was much clearer than the teachers answers. Looks like my DS is stuck with it then.

Hope it goes better for you Ally.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now