4 days to go

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jabba7

4 days to go

Post by jabba7 »

Hi

It seems so quiet on the Bucks forum, how is everyone feeling?

Feeling worried here but trying hard to hide it and just can't wait to get it all over with :D

Does anyone have any last minute tips they would like to share.

Thanks
Jabba7
SingleDad

Re: 4 days to go

Post by SingleDad »

Hi Jabba7

It does seem fairly quiet around here.

I did plan to do less 11+ prep during the weekend just gone, but inevitably did more. It's so tempting just adding 'another little bit before we break'!

We're not planning to do much these next few days, just reading and basic revision on Monday and Tuesday evenings. Daughter doesn't know it yet, but I'm planning a complete break from work on Wednesday night and a trip to the ice cream parlour instead! It's her favourite dessert place so she'll enjoy that.

The only tips I can think of is good sleep every night and healthy eating every day.

Good luck :D
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Very relaxed here. Working with ds over the Summer we came to the conclusion that actually grammar probably isn't the right place for him.

He'll give it a go, see how he does. He's also doing the Clement Danes music exam. Option 3 is an upper, we're happy with one nearby as is he.

His older two siblings are at grammar, that's really helped us work out where he'd be best placed. I can't say I'd have felt the same were he our first.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Feeling the same as you jabba7, a bag of nerves inside but trying to appear calm and cheerful to ds2.
This is our second time, ds1 did the exam last year but it doesn't get an easier. Try to keep your child relaxed, be organised, so no last minute flapping around... and have a lovely treat planned for them on Thursday eve.

You've done all you can, just have to hope that they perform on the day.

Singledad: that is a really nice treat you've planned for your daughter, its thoughtful things like that, that our kids will remember.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Aaaaaaah can't bear it here! We all just want it over with! I daren't mention anything to DD now as she just says if I say anything about it it reminds her about how scared she is! All I am saying i that she is great, clever, and just needs to keep cool, calm and collected on the day. And to be confident - because she has put the work in.
And that if it doesn't work out we have a (sort of) plan B!

Even when you try to minimise it its such a lot of stress for a 10 year old! Hate it!!

All over for us next Saturday evening though :D :D

What date do we get the results?
SingleDad

Post by SingleDad »

Booklady wrote:What date do we get the results?
Friday 17th October.
It's a 5 week wait after sitting the 11+ :(
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Well my baby boy has no desire to pass, no desire to join his bruvs at grammar and simply wants to score "a not embarrassing" mark, but he is still wandering round the house clutching his blanky like Linus from peanuts and looking a little grey. He hates being pressured, but mostly he will be worrying about the unknown.
He is also a very young ten, and he will struggle to concentrate for two hours and not wander off into fairyland mentally, he knows he has the habit of doing this and that worries him too, he keeps asking how long exactly each test is etc.
I think as soon as he has done the deceptively simple, but annoyingly cloak and dagger practice test on Tuesday he will relax a bit and by Thursday night it will be crepes at the cafe, a big bar of marvellous creations and a happy bunny again.
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Southbucks3,
Good luck for Thursday, I hope your boy does well.
gameon

Post by gameon »

My DS asking so many questions. Within the last few weeks, he has improved so much. He should be feeling confident, but he is feeling very negative. I can't give him any advice at the minute. He is panicking.

In the bucks familiarization paper, he was circling the answers instead of striking it through it and I said that's is not the way to do it and that is it. He is in his panic mood now.

How do I calm him down now?
motion

Post by motion »

gameon wrote:

In the bucks familiarization paper, he was circling the answers instead of striking it through it and I said that's is not the way to do it and that is it. He is in his panic mood now.

How do I calm him down now?
Print several copies of the familiarization and get him to practise striking (guessing the answers) only. I did this with my DS (just the MC sheet) for several times as a game.

Lots of praises will calm him down.

Motion