More CEM testing in Yr 7?!

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MamaBear

More CEM testing in Yr 7?!

Post by MamaBear »

Just when you think you are done with the CEM... I've just got an email that ds will be sitting a CEM test at school this Wednesday- nothing to revise for hence nothing to worry about but still annoying all the same.
mike1880

Re: More CEM testing in Yr 7?!

Post by mike1880 »

MidYIS (middle years) assessment. Daughter did one in Y7 soon after starting but we didn't hear about it until some time later. I'm surprised anyone bothered to tell you TBH.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

The school emailed me, assuring us that its nothing to worry about, will not affect sets and that there is nothing to revise for.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

My son did one in the first week of school as well - Midyis. Schools use it to calculate/predict their GCSE grades for these students, I think
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.cem.org/secondary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More details here -
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

predicting GCSE results from a yr 7 test?! Do parents get the feedback too?
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

MamaBear wrote:predicting GCSE results from a yr 7 test?! Do parents get the feedback too?
no - unless there is a problem. We found out ours as our son was ranked 4th in a cohort of 120 and his work in school did not reflect his ability.

It is too early to predict GCSE grades because children change but it helps schools to plan their 'teaching strategies' to get the best out of their students so they can achieve good grades
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think it's more accurate to say they use it for GCSE "targets" rather than GCSE "predictions". Anyone with kids like ours will appreciate the difference :roll: .
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I am very happy not to know the outcome, I think I am a reincarnated ostrich, they can analyse him to their hearts desires, as long as I support him on a daily basis I have done my bit!
KB

Post by KB »

Statistically the data may inform teaching but performance at GCSE is influenced by so many factors between one intelligence test in year 7 and summer of year 11 I would take it all with a pinch of salt.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now