WGBS or Parmiter's

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tofindout

WGBS or Parmiter's

Post by tofindout »

Can anyone advise between the two? Pros and cons between the two assuming travelling is not a problem.

Heard that Parmiter's is better in Sports and Music, is this true?
How is the Science and Math standards at Parmiter's compared to WGBS?
What about discipline, teaching qualities, developing students' potentials, support, etc.?
tense

Re: WGBS or Parmiter's

Post by tense »

Both excellent schools, your DS would be very lucky to attend either! If travel is not a factor, perhaps consider whether you / your DS prefer co-ed or not. That seems to me to be the biggest difference between them.

Re: sport, I certainly wouldn't say one is 'better' than the other but they are different. For example, boys can't play hockey at Parmiter's. I'm not sure if they put out football teams at WGSB?

On the other factors you mention, I can only speak as a Parmiter's parent, but I am very happy with all these aspects of the school. Am sure you will find WGSB parents who feel the same!
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I have two at WBGS and am very happy with it. Strengths: Maths, Music, Classics, pastoral care, rugby/hockey/cricket, SEN.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

I have a DS at WBGS and am impressed by Music, Maths, Classics.... just realised I am writing the same list as 3b1g :D Seriously, it is a great school and we are delighted with it. As tense mentioned, the biggest difference is coed vs boys only.

I have moved my position from being in favour of coed to preferring single sex especially for boys. I am of the opinion that the shared teaching at a coed benefits girls who are normally earlier to mature leading to better performance for girls which in turn focuses the teaching styles further in their favour. At the boys school the approach to teaching tends to use examples and methods that enthuse and engage boys better leading to boys doing well in subjects they have not fared as well as in coed schools.

Now this is my feeling but has been backed by some studies that both DD and DS benefit from single sex schools and my experience has born this out.

That said both schools have outstanding performances and you will not go wrong with either.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

If you want to do Latin, you would have to do it after school at Parmiter's.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I pretty much agree with what cutting42 and 3b1g say about WGSB. My feeling is that they are very good at dealing with boys both on the academic and pastoral side and on the whole we have been happy with the school.
tofindout

Post by tofindout »

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now