The "doing nothing more until exam day"support thread

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ess30

The "doing nothing more until exam day"support thread

Post by Ess30 »

Because I know it's the right thing & I shouldn't waiver when I hear "***'s tutor told him to take a break from work the night before the test" and "YYY isn't coming back to school until after the test - he's doing mock tests at home with his Dad the rest of the week". :shock:
mystery

Re: The "doing nothing more until exam day"support thread

Post by mystery »

Do what you want for your child. There is no correct answer. You are not wrong and they are not wrong either.
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

I didn't say they were wrong ( though I might think they are a bit barking)- I said I'm sitting on my hands to suppress the kneejerk reaction of trying to cram just a little more in - so I don't scupper our agreed strategy of defusing the tension the week leading into the exams.
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

So I see we're alone in having our feet up eating biscuits & watching soaps this week! :lol: . D'oh!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am sure you are not. They have all logged out of EPE too.
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

But you guys are my methadone. Getting my 11+ fix without prejudicing the welfare of my loved ones!
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

My dd1 got to about a fortnight before the tests, and told me she wasn't doing any more work, and that if she couldn't do them by then, she never would be able to. She passed very well, but it took a lot of MY nerve to not try to make her do more. Good luck to you all :)
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

Well done allportico DD :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Having had three children take the 11+ - with varying degrees of immediate success, but then some of us just like to take the pretty route, don't we, DD? - I'm fairly sure that the conversation if any on the subject will have gone along the lines of:

Me: Do you think there's anything you want to look at?
Offspring: Not really.
Me: Okay, then.

And as for the idea of actually listening to - or for that matter having in the first place - a tutor who insists that you keep the child off school for a week 'for a rest' punctuated only by a daily session with them at however many tens of pounds an hour...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx