How are our new year 7's?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kittymum

How are our new year 7's?

Post by kittymum »

How weird is it to say that! They've actually started and for me it's the first child at big school!

For us it's been a great transition - after much soul searching on my behalf I feel we definitely chose the right school. DS is loving it (although has decided that 2 teachers are "just like really mean and like really unfair"), doing his homework (I'm a bit :shock: :shock: as to how much they have - and not just the cover your book sort), made some friends, goes to the canteen and most bizarrely joined a sports club (I'm actually thrilled about this as it was totally his choice but for anyone who knows him it was a bit of a shock).

He looks fantastic in his uniform but seems to have turned into a teenager over night (talking like really quickly in like a very posh voice and, like, saying like all the time :lol: ).

His fave subjects are History (thinks teacher is amazing - teacher is young, cool, male) and English (he's amazed about the existence of lessons where they just get to talk about books!).

How's everyone else doing?
copella

Re: How are our new year 7's?

Post by copella »

Pleased to see your DS is settling well but had to laugh about your description if him being a teenager. In my experience they lose the capacity to join words and make a sentence. Why give a sentence when a word or even a symbol or one letter will do. Enjoy this period before real adolescence catches up with him.
Last edited by copella on Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

OK I think :)

Some groans about homework and both been a bit anxious about getting things right and not forgetting stuff etc. I have twins, who started at two different schools each a half hour from home - glutton for punishment eh? - but we feel increasingly that these were great choices for them and it has already become apparent how good it was to separate them. How well I am going to cope with driving around and coordinating after school clubs/lifts/buses/aggghhhhh! - is less certain!
Both have dived into sport, which I am thrilled about because we have 'gone soft' on screens because they need the downtime and are working so hard, but I didn't want that to be at the expense of their fitness, but both already doing at least 4 sessions a week of games/team sports with clubs etc and then rugby on sunday, so figure I can let them relax a bit :lol: :lol:
Very very tired and feeling the truth of what I said last term "don't wish away Year 6 because you will find Year 7 a lot harder and look back on this time as easy" - how I hate to be so right! :roll: (I've even resisted saying I told you so, just!)

Very very proud of them. And I have a form captain in the house already!
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Gosh Yamin - hat's off! My Ds year 7 is also throwing himself into sport which us great but I am struggling to keep up with the washing of the PE kit - may just have to toddle off and get some more when the washing line weather goes..... He is so tired - I've never seen him this tired before. For 11 years he has been the first person up in the house bright eyed and bushy tailed, now he is wandering half asleep into the kitchen! He loves it though and has made friends without trouble, looks gorgeous in his blazer, and waved at me when I met him right outside shouting "Hi Mum, this my friend x!" - guess that won't happen in a couple of years, I almost told him it wasn't cool :lol:
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

fairyelephant wrote:Gosh Yamin - hat's off! My Ds year 7 is also throwing himself into sport which us great but I am struggling to keep up with the washing of the PE kit - may just have to toddle off and get some more when the washing line weather goes.....
My ds has just gone into Yr8 - it is the horrible muddy rugby boots I really struggle with - what are you supposed to do with them? Yuk!!
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Fairy elephant, enjoy the waving my year 9 would kill me if I spoke to him in public!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I drove past son number one at the school bus stop yesterday, with son number three in the car, I wound the window down, called out his name sing song fashion and blew him a kiss. He scowled so perfectly it made me happy for an hour. :lol: son number three hid behind the seats.

Son number two is fine, he did his homework tonight without issue, a major break through. He has thrown himself into the sports, both at lunch time and after school, but hasn't worked out he needs to eat at first break if he does this, so eats his sarnies at 3.45pm! His body will punish him soon if he doesn't eat and drink properly! He has played basketball, ping pong, rugby and more rugby, in the last 24 hours!
Seems to like the sciences, which is odd as he didn't at primary school, says the physics teacher is soooo cool, long may it continue.
He says it's "still just school," and he shoots me an, 'are you bonkers' look, if I ask if he enjoyed his day. :lol: Too right....I would be worried sick if he "loved" it. I would demand DNA testing for proof he was one of ours!
He is still finding his ground with friendships, he is happy enough, but likes to watch and learn for quite a while I think.
All good, very happy he got in. :D
Last edited by southbucks3 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Southbucks yOu are so funny! Poor ds1, the shame!

Never mind my boys being tired , I'm knackered!! Fish and chips tomorrow, away match for rugby and they don't get back til 7!
Lots of smiles tho, so far!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now