Failed by one point

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anxious mum abroad

Failed by one point

Post by anxious mum abroad »

My daughter failed by one point and her scores were 114 and 120. She has never sat an exam before as we live abroad. The school she attends teachs the IB programme and children do not sit tests until they are in the secondary school.

We are not sure if we should appeal, but do think a GS would be good for her and vice versa. However I don't know if we have strong evidence to support an appeal in Bucks CC.

We have a new HT and she does not know my daughter well enough to provide a letter of support. However her teacher from last year gave her an outstanding report and I am sure would also provide a letter of support. Her first test was the score of 114 and we could argue that it was nerves that most likely set her back.

Do you think these points are sufficient or should we also make other pointers such as she speaks a second language and works hard, etc?

MA
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Concentrate on the academic evidence - it's very hard for a panel if there are no 'external' marks e.g. NC levels or CATs scores. The report must say 'well above average' not just 'works hard' -

You might be able to 'argue' that being taught abroad may have put her in a less advantageous possition - especially of she is not taught in standard English.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

See also the Q&As, B19.

Appeal panels may find it difficult to uphold appeals when there is an absence of any meaningful alternative evidence of high ability. It is difficult for a panel to know objectively how the standard of work at the foreign school compares with that of a local school. How is it possible to prove that the foreign school has very high standards? Any evidence of the foreign school’s academic reputation, preferably in writing, would be useful.
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the advice. British English isn't taught at the school, so she is at a slight disadvantage on that point.

The school does have a good academic reputation with reference to the IB programme and works closely with topics raised by the United Nations. I just need to gather the evidence now.

MA
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now