Wolverhampton consortium, what will letter look like?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Twinsmummy2003

Wolverhampton consortium, what will letter look like?

Post by Twinsmummy2003 »

Hi all

I have been following this forum for the last year and thank you all for the information. I have twin boy and girl who sat for Adams/Newport/WGHS in July and believe the results letters are coming out on Friday. When my niece got her results letter a couple of years ago the children were ranked so you knew if you were in the top X number then you were in, but I understand now you just get an SAS score and a letter saying that we "strongly suggest" or less positive wording!

My question is, does anyone know more than that? We are hoping for good results for our son as he is a really bright little guy and Adam's is non catchment, but our daughter, while doing really well (top 5 in her year), can be a little bit erratic when it comes to tests and we are not in Newport catchment so I am less confident about her. How good an indication is her SAS score if compared with last years? What can the less positive wording be on the letter, ie not strongly suggest?!

Do these questions make sense? I think what I am trying to get at is, if you have a 'strongly suggest' and an SAS score of say 15 over last year's lowest score, are you definitely in? (Can I relax?), and on the other hand, if the SAS scores are closer and the letter more vague, then 6 months seems an awfully long time to not know what you are doing!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, sorry for the waffle, glad it's anonymous!

X
Rupy

Re: Wolverhampton consortium, what will letter look like?

Post by Rupy »

Hi there

My dd sat this test last year. Yes you are right, each child gets a standardised score. The letter from WGHS stated My daughter's score meant that she would strongly benefit from a grammar school education. They gave you a cut off point (based on last year's result for WGHS)it may vary slightly for Adams, Newport, QM). This cut off point was 297. Children who scored below had a different wording... i.e child would struggle with a grammar school education.
When I received the letter last year I remember thinking, to be certain of a place I need my daughters score to be MINIMUM +20 above the cut off for WGHS. Maybe slightly different for the other schools in consortium... but not far off.

I know a girl who scored 316 and was placed on a waiting list and then got a place.

Good luck, have been there so know how you feel, hope I have helped

Twinsmummy2003

Post by Twinsmummy2003 »

Hi Rupy

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, your explanation really helped. I didn't realise there was a cut off score at all and was confused how they could not recommend/recommend a grammar school place based on the SAS score, without knowing what the lowest SAS score to be admitted will be, does that make sense?!

I really do appreciate your reply. I would much rather have an idea what the numbers may mean on opening the letter, so I can best moderate my response to their scores; rather than scrabble trying to understand what they mean with the children watching me! You have to be diplomatic with twins of differing ability!

Thank you again and many congratulations on your daughter's achievement. I hope she is enjoying her new school.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

We had a letter from Adams' last time and it gives you the highest and lowest score acheived in the exam. The lowest score that got in last year. For Adams' the cut off was 310. Adams' letter says your child would benefit from a grammar school education and we strongly suggest you apply. Queen Marys' does NOT say we strongly suggest you apply even if your child's score is high enough to get in.
Twinsmummy2003

Post by Twinsmummy2003 »

Hi Wolves mum

Crikey they don't make it easy do they?! Thank you so much for replying, hopefully we will have all the letters in the next 48 hours so will (fingers crossed) have a better idea of what happens next, unless it's borderline then may gave to lie down in a darkened room for a while then try and forget about it for 6 months!

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

X
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Even when you have the results you still don't know anything for certain until allocation day next year! My son had a very safe score last year (350) but didnt get into Adams due to Wolverhampton Council making a mistake with his Date of Birth :shock:

This meant that with a score that should have been a definite yes we were actually first on the waiting list!!

11 plus has been the most stressful period of my life ..... and I have it all again next year. However I dont think DS2 is suited to a Grammar so have not been quite as stressed this time as I am hoping for Thomas Telford for him.
Twinsmummy2003

Post by Twinsmummy2003 »

Hi Wolvesmum

Sorry for the late reply - been preoccupied with results today! Please tell me your son got into Adams, after all he did nothing wrong! I am having kittens slightly, the letter for my daughter came with her name misspelled but they told me I can change it online.
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

Hi guys,

My DD scored 321, and letters from WGHS , QM and Newport say 'strongly encourage ' . She is above the Lowest score to get in last year for each school.

This has given us some confidence now, but we are aware that they do say that this is not an offer, and that the final allocation will take into account how many applied and put the school name down in their choices. So, still more stress to handle before March!

We took advantage of the wording to show our DD that she had done really well and we are very proud of her hard work. We told her that this does not mean she has a place yet, but it does acknowledge that she is definitely wanted. That way, she can enjoy the satisfaction that she has succeeded, and let us worry about the game itself.

Now I am also trying to figure out if our DD is definitely in, has a chance or has she slipped below.....very difficult to find out considering the positive wording in the letters, but the possibilities of movement in places.

Thank you guys for this thread, and I hope more will add to this so that we can hopefully gain a little more confidence to get us through the next 6 months. :)

I hope this is helpful guys........
Twinsmummy2003

Post by Twinsmummy2003 »

Hi Buckbeak

I don't know Queen Mary's girls school at all but have read somewhere that the lowest admittance number is lower than the boys and your daughter has scored over the lowest admitted number for all three which is great! I would say the only one she may struggle with is Newport unless you are in catchment, but even if you are not and it is your first choice, put it down first on your sheet as you never know! I believe if she didn't get in there and you put, say, Wolverhampton second, that they wouldn't be told the were second choice so your daughter wouldn't be penalised for it (although part of me wonders whether they would know, would there be a time delay in approaching a second choice school?).

Phew wait is over, I feel like I've been hit by a bus today...
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

Twinsmummy2003 wrote:Hi Buckbeak

I don't know Queen Mary's girls school at all but have read somewhere that the lowest admittance number is lower than the boys and your daughter has scored over the lowest admitted number for all three which is great! I would say the only one she may struggle with is Newport unless you are in catchment, but even if you are not and it is your first choice, put it down first on your sheet as you never know! I believe if she didn't get in there and you put, say, Wolverhampton second, that they wouldn't be told the were second choice so your daughter wouldn't be penalised for it (although part of me wonders whether they would know, would there be a time delay in approaching a second choice school?).

Phew wait is over, I feel like I've been hit by a bus today...
Hey Twinsmummy2003,

Thank you for your reply.

You are right when you say they don't make it easy for us. I hope the scores have gone your way for you DCs ....

Sunday morning....time to reflect whilst having second breakfast... :)

I suppose we have done all we can . Our DCs have worked hard and kept it together for the trauma of 11+ exams. We have toiled physically and emotionally to get them through it. Now, we just put our schools of choice in the right order of preference, and then leave it until March. What more can we do?

Because of the many possibilities of candidates choices and movement from now until end of this academic year, there many scenarios that can result in our DCs getting in.

Time will tell........

Always good to hear from everyone about there experiences ....