Watford ConsortiumTests

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MANDIS1966

Watford ConsortiumTests

Post by MANDIS1966 »

Hi to everyone whose child sat the 11plus at Herts Consortuim. My son sat the exam today he fould the maths paper much easier than the Nfer and Bond papers. He felt that the Verbal Reasoning paper was more challenging than the Bond, Nfer, IPS and Athey papers. Did anyone else's child find the Verbal Reasoning paper more challenging than practise papers. Any comments would be appreciated.

Post by Guest »

Hi
Interested to read what your son found. My son felt the same. He found one section in the verbal reasoning particularly hard and said he hadn't come across this question type on any of the practice papers he'd done. He claims there wasn't an example to show him what he was to do. Seems strange they set such a challenging VR paper but don't seem to stretch them on the maths..
muddy

watford tests

Post by muddy »

My daughter and son both said that the verbal paper was harder. Think the reason that the maths has been easier for the last two years is that there had been complaints that the previous papers had gone beyond the KS2 curriculum and that this wasn't fair on children who hadn't been coached.

My daughter said there was an example on the familiarisation test which was like the 'never seen before' question type and that she had got the practice question correct - however she found those questions on the real paper hard too.

So glad this part is all over now. I'm certainly feeling very tired today, having woken up before 5am this morning. My twins seem to have found today a little easier than me!

Just 3 months to wait now. :roll:
WP

Post by WP »

Could anyone whose child did the test today tell us the test supplier, format, number of questions, times, etc for the benefit of next year's candidates?
guest111

Post by guest111 »

WP wrote:Could anyone whose child did the test today tell us the test supplier, format, number of questions, times, etc for the benefit of next year's candidates?
I suppose it is not fair to answer this question at the moment because there will be some kids writing the same test on dec 4th. Some might also take test later, those who submitted late applications.

My son too told us that maths paper was very easy and VR was very tough.
WP

Post by WP »

guest111 wrote:
WP wrote:Could anyone whose child did the test today tell us the test supplier, format, number of questions, times, etc for the benefit of next year's candidates?
I suppose it is not fair to answer this question at the moment because there will be some kids writing the same test on dec 4th. Some might also take test later, those who submitted late applications.
I wasn't asking for specifics, just answers to the questions we've seen asked here, with sometimes conflicting answers:

Which paper was first?
How many questions were there in each paper?
Were the papers multiple choice or standard format?
Were answers written on a separate sheet or on the question paper?
Was working to be done on a separate sheet, or could they write on the question paper?
Were the papers from NFER, Bond, Moray House or somewhere else?

OK, maybe someone might think the last one is too much information, but the others are surely harmless.

Post by Guest »

Somebody reply in a generous spirit as WP has been the most informative poster with regard to the Herts partially selective schools with iwell-informed facts and comments about the new admissions code and much else.

It also strikes me that these tests are designed to reduce in the case of one school 1300 candidates down to a manageable 65 therefore if the Maths has been made easier then they will use the VR and English to filter the candidates. The Maths seeming easy and any comfort gained from that is living in a fools paridise.
virtuo

herts test

Post by virtuo »

Yes I can tell WP that they are standard format . Maths 50 Q in 50 mins
and Vebal is 100 Q in 45 mins . Quite a test , with a 10 min break in between

Post by Guest »

My son saidd there was 80 VR.

Maths NFR
VR Bond Style

Post by Guest »

My daughter sat the tests this weekend at Parmitars and didn't get time to finish ber verbal reasoning. We had worked through all of the Bond 10-11+ books and she had been completing the 11-12+ Bond books during the last few weeks which also have 100 questions. Despite this, she struggled to do at least 8 of the questions or to check over her work.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now