117 & 118 for Dr Challoners

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

i-qah

117 & 118 for Dr Challoners

Post by i-qah »

Well I just couldn't bear to log into this site over the week-end.
Unfortunately my son's scores were below 121, although he was scoring in the mid 90% in mock papers!

We are all so dissappointed, and only now thinking about appeals. He goes to an independent school, which positively discourages 11+, so we didn't even admit to entering him, hence unlikely to get HT support.

I would welcome any-ones views on whether it's even worth bothering to go for an appeal with 117 & 118 scores for Dr Challoners, which I should imagine is an extremely over-subcribed GS anyway.

We live in Chesham.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Hello i-qah,

Sorry for your disappointment, it can be really gutting at the time for both child and parents.

A couple of positives. Whether you qualify outright or on appeal, it makes NO difference to your chances of getting a place at any particular grammar, however popular. Those who get through on appeal will go into the same pot. The ONLY criteria are distance, siblings, catchment, etc. So, in theory, all other factors being equal, someone with 118 who got through on appeal but lives nearer would get preference over with 141 who lives further away.

It would help to have something from his prep school. Did they do Ket stage 1 SATs? Do they do any optional SATs of CAT tests? Even if the school do not support the 11 Plus, they surely can't object to confirming that your son is academically well above average? There are plenty of state primaries who are also uncooperative, but usually something can be squeezed out of them. Without any academic evidence it will be difficult, but you don't need the school to say that they believe in grammar schools or to accompany you to the appeal.

Hope that provides some encouragement. I'm sure others will help too, and look at the appeals section.

Geoffrey
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi i-qah

I am sorry to hear that you didn't get the results you were hoping for.

All that Geoffrey has written is correct, and it is possible to submit an Appeal without Head Teacher' support, although it will be tough going!

Have you thought about leaving him at the Prep school for another year and trying for the 12+? It would probably mean that you would have to settle for Chesham High rather than Challoners.

Have a read of Etienne's Q&A (link at the top of the Appeals section) and do send me a PM - I think there may be a couple of hints I can give you on approaching the school if it is the one I think it is!

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
i-qah

Appeal

Post by i-qah »

Dear Geoffery & Sally-Anne

thank you for the positives on qualifying for an appeal - it is quite encouraging.

We will now sit down and think hard about whether to appeal, based on whether the Head will be able to demonstrate strong academic potential.

thsnk you again
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hi,

Our child also attended a school which did not support 11+.
We were surprised to find that not only was our head teacher quite incensed that he was refused a place - the head also offered to attend the appeal (We would not have asked!).
The head teacher also supplied stats to prove that our child had achieved much higher marks in SATS than several children in his class who were successful in the selection tests.
You may have a very pleasant surprise awaiting you!
Worth a try!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now