Appeal 'wording' confusion

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MelW

Appeal 'wording' confusion

Post by MelW »

My son scored 118 and we have decided to appeal. We have mitigating circumstances as to why he did not do better on the day but I am confused as to whether I have to prove academic excellence AS WELL. Plus he attends an independent school which the headteacher's form does not really accomodate. What is the best way to approach this? He is in the second set for maths at his school but they are on key stage 3 maths. It doesn't look good that he is in the second set but on the other hand he is doing secondary level maths!!! I just wondered if anyone had any experience of how to present a case from an independent school where they do not do SAT's etc. Thanks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mel

I'm sorry to hear that he didn't get the marks you hoped for. What was his other mark?

You must most definitely try to prove academic ability - the mitigating circumstances come second to that.

It is more difficult when there are no predicted SATs, but the school presumably has some evidence of his ability from tests, exam results etc. As the form is not entirely suitable the Head may need to write a further, short supporting letter in the absence of predicted SATs giving facts and figures of the standard of the curriculum and your son's performance.

Did the Head complete an Order of Suitability form? If so, what was the ranking he gave your son?

If you need any advice on presenting the mitigating circumstances, but would prefer to do that via PM, do get in touch.

Best wishes - and good luck
Sally-Anne