Rugby at QE and football : dog poo par for the course?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Elibet

Rugby at QE and football : dog poo par for the course?

Post by Elibet »

Yesterday my yr 7 DS brought back a really smelly PE bag from school - closer inspection revealed a massive amount of poo wedged in the nails of his football boots. It had gone all over his stuff and was a nightmare to clean up. A ghastly mess for a poophobe like me.

As he's never played contact sports on a field before, (his primary playground having had its own secluded fields ) I don't know if this is something I'd better get used to, and fast.

His secondary school QE boys in barnet is supposed to gave its own private field free of dog walkers, but DS told me it was littered with poo, and when you are running to catch the ball, the last place you look is down.

(DS' plays lots of tennis, squash, cricket and swims. Never joined a football club until now, so this is a bit of a rude shock to me. )

I would really appreciate some helpful tips and advice from other mums and dads who I'm sure have had a lot more experience in this than I!
Last edited by Elibet on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
southbucks3

Re: Rugby and football : dog poo par for the course?

Post by southbucks3 »

As the field is clearly used by inconsiderate dog walkers, prior to use the boys should line up and walk across it, placing a football marker cone next to any turds, for the chosen lucky boys to scoop up and bag. This is done on public fields across the UK every weekend, amazed they do not ensure the safety of the boys at qe. As the field is supposed to be private, perhaps they need to sort out security too?

Bucket of water, submerge the bottom of the boots, scrubbing brush.....it's the only way really. He should have also at least half attempted to clean his boots at the field, our schools have boot washers, and long grass for banging mud off.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is a health and safety hazard; dog poo is nasty stuff.

What are the PE department thinking about to allow boys to play in such conditions? This would fail an Ofsted inspection ...
KS10

Post by KS10 »

That's gross! Sympathies from a fellow poophobe (love that word!). Thought they didn't play football at QE.
Elibet

Post by Elibet »

Oh I'm so glad you all agree that it's awful. I was worried that I was overreacting, that I should learn to, in my OH's words "suck it up!"
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Thing 2 did an around town cross country run, if that makes sense! Loved the run but came back with dog poo on his trainers, also on his rugby boots as shoved in same bag before he realised. Thank goodness kit is separate. Horrible job, and why are people so vile and don't pick up after their dog??
We had puppies last year and I have NEVER picked up as much poo! But I did it, why can't other dog owners? Vile!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My friend lived in a house which backed onto school playing fields. She was horrified by the number of people who "exercised" their dogs every morning - AKA getting out of car, letting dog off lead and letting it run (and poo) and then getting back into car with dog.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think the offending dog walkers ought to be made to play a game of football or rugby on a pitch.

In their best shoes and clothes.

Then drive home without changing.

Or am I being too cruel?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

No, you're not. No one seems to pick up after their dog near here. It used to annoy me so much when I had to manoeuvre a buggy and a toddler in order to avoid the stuff. Often I would risk using the road instead.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I live opposite a greeny bit by the sea , where people walk their dogs. Interestingly, I often see elderly people, who bend down and pick up their dog's poo, despite the fact that they are not at all bendy. On the other hand, there are often young, fit blokes who just ignore it and walk on.

My husband has been known to dash out of our house and heckle offenders to come back and pick their mess up.."Oi! I think you've left something outside my house..come back and pick it up!" Pretty impressive in a Belfast accent!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now