Bedtime/get up time in Y7

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Bedtime/get up time in Y7

Post by Yamin151 »

What time does your year 7 go to bed/get up? I try for ups t 8.30, lights out at 9, but one son in particular has been found 'sneak reading' after lights out. I wouldn't mind but he is tired and grumpy in the day at the moment, new school, all very tiring of course, but doesn't help if you don't turn your light out does it??
Sure other son does it too, but his bedroom not spottable from my vantage point when I open living room door, and he is not so moody during day.
Not sure what I can do about it other than sit outside the bedroom (no!) - I guess I am hoping that they are all tired at this stage but eventually it gets better and they learn to cope, even with a bit of sneak reading! (Sure I prob did this too!)
This son is up at 7 am for school and wakes about 8 at weekend.
stevew61

Re: Bedtime/get up time in Y7

Post by stevew61 »

Year 7 is such a big change, wouldn't worry too much, but we do a parent's job is never done.

We've had a wonderful light September as the daylight hours decrease body clocks adjust and early sleep becomes easier but then come the dark mornings....

My Y8 and Y10 go lights out about 8.30, my year 14 (year one uni) about 2am but I'm not awake to confirm.

Y8 struggles at 6.30am, Y10 seems to be awake at 5.30am.

Specific times are probably not as important as being happy, healthy and not grumpy.

Another thought is it a 'light problem' some of the above went through phases of having to have bedroom doors open with a visible light outside.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm with stevew61! We are far more laissez faire, I'm afraid! DS2 has always been an early riser so we decreed about two years ago that he wasn't allowed downstairs till 6am. He is awake and downstairs by 6.01 every morning, schooldays or not! Bedtime is more flexible - both our boys tend to self decide - always around 9-9.30 during school time but all bets are off in the holiday. They go up and both read before bed - once they have gone up we ignore them till we go up - sometimes ds2 will fall asleep with his bedside light on, other times it's all dark. When they were younger we tried sending them to bed before they were ready - waste of time in our experience as they either stayed up even longer or were up and down all evening!

Obviously ds1 now has two ours homework every night and as he gets in at 5 on a none club night and 6 on club night, it is unrealistic to expect I'm to have done homework, chilled out, eaten dinner, bath etc much before 10.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Hmmmm, thanks both. Thing 1 def an anxious child, we often get visits and there is a landing light on. So KCG yours might go up at 9, 9.30 but lights out when they want! Think that might be the way we have to go, even if that means a bit of tiredness before they find their mojo.
Stevew61, your year 8 and 10 lights out 8.30??? Do they sleep then? Amazing! Wish ours would as really think they'd do better on more sleep.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Hi Yamin151,

My DD has also just started Y7 and has a similar morning and bedtime to your DS (up at 6.45 bed at 8.30-9.00 ). She's tired but tends to have a good lie in ( around 10 ish ) at weekends which seems to do the trick for her. She has voluntarily taken herself off to bed once at 7.00pm because she couldn't stay awake ! But otherwise this was the same routine as her last two years at primary.

My Y10 DS however has always needed much more sleep. I only managed to stop his 2 hour afternoon sleep just before he started reception at 5 yrs. He now does 8 hours of basketball a week outside school hours, which involves two 6.00 am mornings and one 9.00pm finish. He has been known to fall asleep on the sofa whilst waiting for tea. He still frequently takes himself to bed before 8.00pm and will read for as long as he can stay awake - usually 15mins max. He stay up Friday nights until 11.00pm playing on the computer with his friends as they all go to bed much later than him. Then both Saturday and Sunday lies in until 10.00 or 11.00am. Again this seems to work fine for him.

It seems mine have found how much sleep they need to function properly. It's always been 7 hours for me ! So what I am trying to say is hopefully your Ds will find his limits without pushing yours !
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Yamin151 wrote: Stevew61, your year 8 and 10 lights out 8.30??? Do they sleep then? Amazing! Wish ours would as really think they'd do better on more sleep.
Ah now I feel bad, yes they do but looking at the wider picture we have many other issues, sorry happy parenting challenges. :lol:

Bedtimes are not the zzzzzzzzzzz <snore> :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

We all go to bed at 10. Yrs 12 and 13 and both parents!

When they were yr 7 they went to bed at 7.30 because they had to get up at 5am for swimming.

DS when tiny, age 2-5 used to get up from 2-6am to play Chess Master on my computer. I got up early one night and started work, he came in carrying my laptop at 6am looking sheepish and admitted he'd done it for quite a while!

I was advised years ago to let them sleep when they wanted by a man who had never had my DS!

He now sleeps/reads and still gets up in the night, but does it all quietly!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

logic32 wrote:Hi Yamin151,

My DD has also just started Y7 and has a similar morning and bedtime to your DS (up at 6.45 bed at 8.30-9.00 ). She's tired but tends to have a good lie in ( around 10 ish ) at weekends which seems to do the trick for her. She has voluntarily taken herself off to bed once at 7.00pm because she couldn't stay awake ! But otherwise this was the same routine as her last two years at primary.

My Y10 DS however has always needed much more sleep. I only managed to stop his 2 hour afternoon sleep just before he started reception at 5 yrs. He now does 8 hours of basketball a week outside school hours, which involves two 6.00 am mornings and one 9.00pm finish. He has been known to fall asleep on the sofa whilst waiting for tea. He still frequently takes himself to bed before 8.00pm and will read for as long as he can stay awake - usually 15mins max. He stay up Friday nights until 11.00pm playing on the computer with his friends as they all go to bed much later than him. Then both Saturday and Sunday lies in until 10.00 or 11.00am. Again this seems to work fine for him.

It seems mine have found how much sleep they need to function properly. It's always been 7 hours for me ! So what I am trying to say is hopefully your Ds will find his limits without pushing yours !

Very interesting,and I seem to be picking up that if left to it, with just books and. O screens (we have no screens in bedrooms) then DCs can become self regulating. And if I cud stop stressing about it I would be much happier! Bless your son, falling asleep waiting for tea! That's a lot of basketball!
And I'm like you, ca function quie happily on 7 hrs

Thank you
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

stevew61 wrote:
Yamin151 wrote: Stevew61, your year 8 and 10 lights out 8.30??? Do they sleep then? Amazing! Wish ours would as really think they'd do better on more sleep.
Ah now I feel bad, yes they do but looking at the wider picture we have many other issues, sorry happy parenting challenges. :lol:

Bedtimes are not the zzzzzzzzzzz <snore> :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

moved wrote:We all go to bed at 10. Yrs 12 and 13 and both parents!

When they were yr 7 they went to bed at 7.30 because they had to get up at 5am for swimming.

DS when tiny, age 2-5 used to get up from 2-6am to play Chess Master on my computer. I got up early one night and started work, he came in carrying my laptop at 6am looking sheepish and admitted he'd done it for quite a while!

I was advised years ago to let them sleep when they wanted by a man who had never had my DS!

He now sleeps/reads and still gets up in the night, but does it all quietly!
Don't tell thing 1 he could sneak time on computer, I'd big trouble then! It sounds like my ds in question much like yours, always been a more trying sleeper, with lots of wake ups and Early rising, better now and as you say, doesn't disturb us, usually. Ok with that so long as he functions ok in the day, but with new year 7 I think the strains of that, plus the erratic sleep, is pushing him into grumpiness!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now