is there anyone whose dc is appearing 2016?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nigel

is there anyone whose dc is appearing 2016?

Post by nigel »

Hello everyone,

Since last few days I am actively reading lot of posts. My son is in year 4 at the moment. I don't plan tobstart immediately with him but I am looking in gathering information and notes. There is wealth of information on this forum and would be lovely to connect with people who are in same boat as me.
elevenlevel

Re: is there anyone whose dc is appearing 2016?

Post by elevenlevel »

"Appearing"? Sounds like they are going to be born in 2016. Now that would be starting early for 11+ prep!! :D
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

elevenlevel wrote:"Appearing"? Sounds like they are going to be born in 2016. Now that would be starting early for 11+ prep!! :D
The way things are going that is exactly what it is going to take to get a place at a SW Herts selective (semi-selective) school.
nigel

Post by nigel »

I dont think 2016 is far off. I don't intend to start tutoring my son till next term but just trying to gather information and understand mysekf. Is that too early?
elevenlevel

Post by elevenlevel »

Not too early for some gentle preparation. There is a page on here about year 4 prep ideas under the preparation heading.

We were joking.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the term "appearing" is used by some people about exams when others might use "sitting" or "taking"
Lynniew100

Post by Lynniew100 »

Hi,

My dd will be in the same boat.
She just started year 4 too but I think it's a good time to start now.
She has been home tutored by me since end of year 1 and we have just started tuition with a professional tutor on weekly basis. I have also been advised to switch to a tutor with good references (I.e. Good statistics getting students into the target school) by year 5.

What have your prep been like? It will be great to share experiences and advice.

Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Gosh...that seems very early to me to be starting on the tutor route. Personally our ds1 had less than 10 weeks with a tutor in y5 and that was more to do with the fact that he was being flexi schooled. Ds2 refused to have anything to do with a tutor. I think Y4 is too young to start - you may risk burnout and in my opinion, have to question that if your child needs 2 solid years of tuition ( not including the time i see you have already spent diy ing them) to pass the test, how suitable is grammar school for them?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Gosh...that seems very early to me to be starting on the tutor route. Personally our ds1 had less than 10 weeks with a tutor in y5 and that was more to do with the fact that he was being flexi schooled. Ds2 refused to have anything to do with a tutor. I think Y4 is too young to start - you may risk burnout and in my opinion, have to question that if your child needs 2 solid years of tuition ( not including the time i see you have already spent diy ing them) to pass the test, how suitable is grammar school for them?
Completely agree with KCG, it's a real risk to begin official tutoring so early. Year 5 is plenty early enough for a child that will suit a grammar school.
nigel

Post by nigel »

Hi lynnview,
I intend to tutor my ds myself. I have started with brushing up times table. So far he has learnt till 16. We also started to learn squares and cubes. As of now we have not started formal studies but I intend to start with 1-2 hrs a week drin Jan. As of now I am just concentrating on techniques for maths. Which schools are you looking for yr dd?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now