118. seen head today

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
burnham dad

118. seen head today

Post by burnham dad »

My son scored x2 118 bucks. Only one girl passed in the year, approx 7 children predicted to pass.
Seen the head this morning. He will give us full support. Our son was ranked 3 in order of suitability. Recommendation 1 and attitude 1. Predicted level 5's, In top 25% year group.
Do we have a strong case?
Thanks for any advice.

Burham Dad
camden

Post by camden »

...better chance than us Burnham dad, and we're going for it!
Good luck,
Camden
burnham dad

Post by burnham dad »

Thanks for the support.
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND ALL OTHERS LIKE US.
Burnham dad
Sally-Anne

Re: 118. seen head today

Post by Sally-Anne »

burnham dad wrote:My son scored x2 118 bucks. Only one girl passed in the year, approx 7 children predicted to pass.
Seen the head this morning. He will give us full support. Our son was ranked 3 in order of suitability. Recommendation 1 and attitude 1. Predicted level 5's, In top 25% year group.
Do we have a strong case?
Hi Burnham Dad

That sounds like quite a good starting point. I think it will hinge on three things:

- can you actually prove above-average academic ability from current schoolwork, reports, past VR scores, etc?
- can you demonstrate any reasons why he didn't quite make 121 or more on?
- has the Head got a good track record of getting the rankings right?

The latter is one that only the Head can really answer. If 7 children were predicted to pass and only 1 did, then it doesn't look quite so great - his predictions might not be so good, so the 1:1 ranking might be seen to be a bit dodgy by the panel. Try to politely find out what happened last year.

Good luck
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello, burnham dad

My comments would be similar to Sally-Anne's.

My son scored x2 118 bucks. - Good
Only one girl passed in the year, approx 7 children predicted to pass. - Not so good - if the head got only 1 out of 7 right, it might raise questions about his judgement.
Seen the head this morning. He will give us full support. - Good (with proviso above)
Our son was ranked 3 in order of suitability. - Difficult to draw conclusions if only one child qualified.
Recommendation 1 and attitude 1 - Good (with proviso above)
Predicted level 5's - Good (level 3s at KS1, or encouraging optional SATs end of year 5, would provide reassurance that the head is not being as over-optimistic as with the order of suitability)
In top 25% year group - Depends on academic ability of year group

Just my initial thoughts. Other factors can make a difference (e.g. the exact wording of the head's statement of support, any extenuating circumstances, etc.)

Certainly worth appealing with 2x118.
Etienne
burnham dad

Post by burnham dad »

Thank you both for great advice.

Off to write this appeal....

burnham dad
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now