wggs excessively punitive?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
helpme!

wggs excessively punitive?

Post by helpme! »

My DD has been at WGGS for 2.5 weeks now. I have been really surprised at the amount of negative discipline (often unfairly given) that has occurred in this short time. As one example- her form was let out of one class late and arrived at their next class after 10 minutes after the start time (the whole form). The teacher screamed at them for being late. They also had a whole class detention (time after school) for talking too much in one class. There seem to be many examples of harsh punishment and strict, unfriendly teachers and no examples of positive reinforcement or praise.
My DD is a top student and strives to do her best- but she comes from a small nurturing school and I am afraid she is going to wither is such an unsupportive environment. I am really worried and would really appreciate any input from those with similar experiences, or a more positive view. Is this just a beginning of year, "scare children into submission" phase that will pass soon? We picked WGGS because we felt the pastoral care was good and it seemed warm and friendly. Were we wrong?
1Watford

Re: wggs excessively punitive?

Post by 1Watford »

My DD has also started at WGGS this term. She hasn't had this experience at all. Most of her teachers she has liked and she hasn't found them too strict. Her class did have a 5 minute detention before one of their English reading classes (ie they had to arrive early), in the first week for too much talking. Other that that she has had a good experience and lots of positive reinforcement (excellents etc being given out to girls in her class). I hope things improve for your daughter.
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

This certainly isn't my experience of WGSG. My dd is in year 8 and although they are firm, and probably far stricter than what your dd is used to, they have always seemed fair. My dd got into trouble in her first few weeks and was asked to go to a teacher at lunchtime for a detention. When she and a friend turned up as instructed they were told that because they had turned up on time prepared to do the detention they were let off and sent away. I think they do like to set boundaries quickly as they move on at a very fast pace and like the girls to know what is expected regarding punctuality and behaviour. They definitely reward good work and also behaviour via the 'excellents' system and give them out quite frequently in the first couple of terms. I have never worried re pastoral care, my dd has always felt that she can talk to her form tutor if she has any worries and I have emailed her on one occasion when my dd felt she needed additional support with something. Matron is also a great resource if your dd is upset about something.
I wonder if your dd is finding the large classrooms and school grounds etc quite intimidating and may be over reacting to some of the discipline that is probably pretty standard for secondary school. I know that when my dd gets upset about 1 minor thing the rest of the day is reported back home as disastrous and everything is a nightmare, rather than just the one small issue.

I went to the concert on friday night with a friend and colleague who left WGSG 15 years ago, she was recognised in the corridor by Dame Helen as if she had left yesterday. She says they were the best 7 years of her life and she owes WGSG everything that she has become since she left. SO hopefully you will be able to look back at the first couple of weeks with a far rosier aspect in the future.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

Wow OP, your DD has been very unlucky.
I have a Y8 and a Y7 DD at WGGS and find that the school is firm but fair. I know from the Y7 HOY that my younger DD is really struggling with some of the rules and regulations ( she has SNs) and they have made sure the teachers know of her problems and provided me with feed back. It has to be said it's not all positive, but I think it is most probably justified! She doesn't come home and tell me about it anyhow; I only find out from the HOY :D
If your DD is struggling, I would recommend a word with Matron or her HOY as I have contacted both of these about both my DDs at times and have found the pastoral care to be excellent.
Hopefully your DD will settle down, come to realise what is expected of her and begin to enjoy the opportunities that await her at a wonderful school like WGGS.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Whole class punishments are never justified imho; praise those who follow the rules and Y7s are keen to please.
helpme!

Post by helpme! »

Thank you for the positive comments - hopefully DD's experiences so far have been unusual and things will get better.
helpme!

Post by helpme! »

K1w1mum wrote:Wow OP, your DD has been very unlucky.

Hopefully your DD will settle down, come to realise what is expected of her and begin to enjoy the opportunities that await her at a wonderful school like WGGS.
She does know what is expected of her and is acting accordingly. She is still getting in trouble - so far extra homework, detention and being told off - given to the whole class for the misbehaviour of others (including a teacher who let them out of class late).
I can find no excuse for it- but am willing to chalk it up to beginning of year craziness.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

helpme! wrote:
K1w1mum wrote:Wow OP, your DD has been very unlucky.

She does know what is expected of her and is acting accordingly. She is still getting in trouble - so far extra homework, detention and being told off - given to the whole class for the misbehaviour of others (including a teacher who let them out of class late).
I can find no excuse for it- but am willing to chalk it up to beginning of year craziness.
I would definitely talk to the HOY about your concerns if she is not already involved. We have not experienced any thing like this in the past 4/5 years and I would be concerned if my DD had not previous history of misbehaving and suddenly started getting detentions etc.