Fiona /Jan

CATS Tests?

Post by Fiona /Jan »

Hi,

Can anybody explain to me what CAT tests are please! :oops:

Jan
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

CATs are one of the tools a school might use to assess its pupils.

You can find further information here:
http://www.nfer-nelson.co.uk/cat/docume ... .02.05.doc
Etienne
Fiona/Jan

Cats

Post by Fiona/Jan »

Hi,

Can't seem to open this link.

My son got 134 for nvr, 123 for maths ,english 129.

Are these good score's :oops:

Jan
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Jan

The scores are above average, and the nvr is very high.

Could you try this link:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:CSp ... =clnk&cd=2
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The first link needed Microsoft Word.
The second may not work, so here's an extract.

Introduction

The Cognitive Abilities Test (CAT) is published by nferNelson. The third edition (CAT3) was published in June 2001. The complete series of tests, from levels A to H, cover the age range 7 years 6 months to 17 years. Level D is the level taken by most Y7 students. Levels G & H which take the test to Y11-Y13 were published in September 2003. Roughly 70% of all secondary schools use CAT to assess their pupils on entry to Y7, and approximately 25% also test in Y9. Many primary schools also use CAT, predominantly in Y4. Approximately one-third of LEAs use CAT strategically across all their schools. Three-quarters of customers, and nearly all secondary schools, use the computer-scoring service provided by nferNelson.

What does CAT measure?

CAT is actually nine tests grouped into three batteries which assess a pupil�s ability to reason with and manipulate the three different types of symbols that play a substantial role in human thinking:

* verbal � thinking with words
* quantitative � thinking with numbers
* non-verbal � thinking with shape and space.

CAT scores indicate general transferable abilities, such as the ability to recognise similarities, analogies, patterns and relationships, all fundamental to understanding and assimilating new information. They are designed specifically to minimise the role of prior learning and can therefore provide an indication of potential. They differ from the national tests (or SATs) which indicate attainment in some core areas of the curriculum and reflect how well pupils have acquired and retained specific knowledge in these areas.

Uses of CAT scores

The CAT tests are used for monitoring trends in the abilities of the intake, identifying individual pupil�s cognitive strengths and weaknesses, identifying SEN, the more able/gifted and underachieving pupils or groups, informing target setting and assessing value added. These uses are described further below.

How are scores reported?

For easy comparison, pupils� raw scores are converted to standard age scores (SAS), stanines and percentiles. Figure 1 shows the link between these different scores.

* Standard ages scores (SAS) have a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15, which shows how widely spread the data are around the mean of 100. Around two-thirds of pupils in the national age group will score between 85 and 115 (up to one standard deviation away from the mean on each side), 95% score between 70 and 130 (up to two standard deviations from the mean) and 99% score between 60 and 140. The upper and lower quartiles of the distribution are an SAS of 90 or below (bottom 26%) and 111 or above (top 26%) respectively.
* Stanines, short for �standard nines�, are nine summary score bands ranging from 1 (lowest) to 9 (highest). The table below shows the percentage of pupils expected in each stanine if the school has a national average intake.
* National percentile rank (NPR) shows the percentage of pupils nationally who obtain a SAS at or below a particular score. An NPR of 50 represents the 50th percentile, which is the median for the age group.

Figure 1: Normal curve of distribution showing standard age scores, national percentile ranks and stanines.

Description /Stanine /Percentage of pupils / Corresponding percentile (NPR) / Corresponding standard age score (SAS)

Code: Select all

Description  St   % pupils   percentile     score
Very high    9 	  4 	        97+ 	     127+
Above av.    8 	  7           90-96      119-126
Above av.    7     12           78-89      112-118
Average      6 	 17           59-77      104-111
Average      5 	 20           41-58       97-103
Average      4 	 17           23-40       89-96
Below av.    3 	 12           12-22       82-88
Below av.    2 	  7            5-11 	   74-81
Very low     1 	  4 	         4-         73-  
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Etienne/guest55

Does the percentage of pupils/NPR score vary from year to year between cohorts as I cannot find any information on the link you gave pertaining to this. I've just got my sons year 5 CATS scores from school

Verbal - raw 78/78 SAS 140+
Quantitative - raw 55/58 SAS 121
Non verbal - raw 62/66 SAS 130

However, I didn't ask for his percentage/percentile score. Rather than look like a neurotic mother and go staright back into school I wondered if there was a way I could get these values from the net if your links are cohort specific
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now