Westcliff and Southend Boys' Schools - Required Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
GreenFrame

Westcliff and Southend Boys' Schools - Required Results

Post by GreenFrame »

Hi all. Second son recently took his 11+ and like many of you we're now into that no mans' land where it's all out of our control. However, I was wondering if anyone knows the required points results for a more or less guaranteed place in either WHSB or SHSB?

Thanks.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Westcliff and Southend Boys' Schools - Required Results

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think these schools are in Essex? You might have more luck if you post in the relevant part of the forum.
Manana

Post by Manana »

GreenFrame wrote:Hi all. Second son recently took his 11+ and like many of you we're now into that no mans' land where it's all out of our control. However, I was wondering if anyone knows the required points results for a more or less guaranteed place in either WHSB or SHSB?

Thanks.
I agree, you'll get more advice if this was moved to the Essex forum.

Are you in or out of the SHSB/WHSB catchment as obviously that will make a big difference to the score required.
GreenFrame

Post by GreenFrame »

Thanks. Can a moderator please move my post to the Essex section? To answer the question - in the (new) catchment.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Moved to Essex.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

GreenFrame wrote:Thanks. Can a moderator please move my post to the Essex section? To answer the question - in the (new) catchment.
303 in the past....with the old test.....
Manana

Post by Manana »

GreenFrame wrote:Thanks. Can a moderator please move my post to the Essex section? To answer the question - in the (new) catchment.
Well, it was always said that an average of about 55% would get you in if you were within the old SS0/SS9 catchments and there was some talk of it going slightly up when the catchment was increased two years ago. Obviously, the VR had more weighting, so you could get a lot of variation in marks with people doing really well/badly on that paper, affecting their overall mark a lot. DS got a score of 355 when he did it as he did really well in maths and VR, but got less than half marks on the English paper.

An average of 55% across the two papers now would be something like 33/60 in each paper. That doesn't sound very much though!?

I'd like to know what others think...
Manana

Post by Manana »

pushymother wrote:
303 in the past....with the old test.....
Oh sorry-I've gone into realms of percentage detail! I assumed the original poster knew the pass mark. Apologies to Green Frame if my answer makes no sense!
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Manana wrote:
Well, it was always said that an average of about 55% would get you in if you were within the old SS0/SS9 catchments and there was some talk of it going slightly up when the catchment was increased two years ago. Obviously, the VR had more weighting, so you could get a lot of variation in marks with people doing really well/badly on that paper, affecting their overall mark a lot. DS got a score of 355 when he did it as he did really well in maths and VR, but got less than half marks on the English paper.

An average of 55% across the two papers now would be something like 33/60 in each paper. That doesn't sound very much though!?

I do wonder if questions are weighted differently though. If you look at the Maths practice paper the Venn diagram has marks attributed to the inner part of the overlapping circles and the outside of the diagram.

It doesn't say weather you get any marks for leaving those out but getting the inner ones correct if you see what I mean?

I also wonder what they were looking for in creative writing samples....15 marks could make or break ones score....The only part of the practice paper that we didn't have an example or answer key...

I think I have lost the plot. I am obsessed with this 11+ malarkey!!
Manana

Post by Manana »

pushymother wrote:
Manana wrote:

I do wonder if questions are weighted differently though. If you look at the Maths practice paper the Venn diagram has marks attributed to the inner part of the overlapping circles and the outside of the diagram.

It doesn't say weather you get any marks for leaving those out but getting the inner ones correct if you see what I mean?

I also wonder what they were looking for in creative writing samples....15 marks could make or break ones score....The only part of the practice paper that we didn't have an example or answer key...

I think I have lost the plot. I am obsessed with this 11+ malarkey!!
I think the only way they can mark the writing is by splitting in up into very specific sections like the writing SATs, eg
Sentence struction and punctuation-1 mark for ***, 2-3 marks awarded if you see ****, maximum of 4 marks for xxxxx.
Text structure and organisation
etc etc

I just can't see how else they could do it to make it fair?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now