Allergy to penicillin and erythromycin.. what next.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SleepyHead

Allergy to penicillin and erythromycin.. what next.

Post by SleepyHead »

Does anyone know what the next line in antibiotic treatment would be if some one is allergic to both penicillin and erythromycin?

thank you
SH
DC17C

Re: Allergy to penicillin and erythromycin.. what next.

Post by DC17C »

Depends on the type of infection and type of bacteria involved for example - metronidazole is often used for dental infections where there is penicillin allergy but may not be appropriate for everybody to take - There are other recommended antibiotic regimens depending on the circumstances and sometimes swabs are taken to establish the best antibiotic to use. Get the advice from an appropriate medical professional for proper assessment and treatment though.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

thank you DC17C - I think a GP appointment tomorrow is in order.
Amber

Post by Amber »

There are others - my mother is allergic to almost everything ever made but is currently taking ciprofloxacin - I am sure the GP will have some ideas. There is clindamycin as well - and tetracycline - depends on what the bacteria causing the infection are.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

thank you Amber
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DH is allergic to erythromycin but nothing else, penicillin brings a lot of people up in a rash. I wouldn't worry too much, there are lots of other antibiotics. Your GP will be able to advise.
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Erythromycin and amoxicillin both make me throw up, but when I needed antibiotics for a wisdom tooth infection, the GP was at a loss what to give me instead. (Dentist wouldn't give me anything and sent me to the GP).
Ended up with amoxicillin and something to stop the throwing up, which knocked me out.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Thank you for all you replies, this really is more than elevenplusexams :lol:

I became allergic to penicillin after DC2 and recently found out that I am also allergic to erythromycin. Hopefully our GP will have some ideas for a upper respiratory tract infection. Never used to be allergic to anything!! :roll:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

SleepyHead wrote:Thank you for all you replies, this really is more than elevenplusexams :lol:

I became allergic to penicillin after DC2 and recently found out that I am also allergic to erythromycin. Hopefully our GP will have some ideas for a upper respiratory tract infection. Never used to be allergic to anything!! :roll:

Maybe the doc will decide you are best with nothing, most URTIs are viral. If it is bacterial your gp will be able to easily find a more suitable antibiotic, but they may well prefer to send you away with nothing. Keep those blasted resistant bacteria at bay, lol!
Good luck at the docs!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Completely agree with this most URTI's are viral. My son went to stay with his dad and I had a phone call to say he had a cold with sore throat and was he OK to have antibiotics as they had all had it and taken something from a pharmacist. What he was given did not sound appropriate for a URTI to me but sometimes I have to bite my tongue :(
DS was given the same antibiotic but still returned to the UK with what looked like a viral cold infection to me. I caught it but did not get antibiotics - I was quite ill with it but it felt viral and took 2-3 weeks to get over properly.
I cannot help thinking that the pressures to get back to work/ school etc push us to get back to normal too quickly
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now