Tips

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mommy

Tips

Post by mommy »

Any hints regarding the sorts of questions RGS boys did in their exam this year. What was the topic for essay writing??
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mommy

I believe that there may still be some late entrants yet to take the RGS tests, so I am asking people to refrain from giving details of the test or essay title in response to your post.

General comments are fine, and a number of them can already be found elsewhere on the Berkshire section.

Sally-Anne - Moderator
mommy

Post by mommy »

Sorry, didn't realise that. When is the likely time i can get response for my ques.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Mommy,

I believe based on discussion with two boarders that they take a different paper in January. In any case the maximum twelve boarding places are separate from the minimum 100 day places. Last year eventually only eleven took places freeing up an extra day place.

Not sure when late sitters take exam, most places seem to do it one or two weeks late. Last year there was a Reading Borough Council internal document that effectively said Reading & Kendrick must supply their lists to RBC by 15th December so they could advise other local authorities.

I would suggest that first week of December should be deadline for discussing details. Can not see how waiting will hurt somebody looking for help for next year. . On the other hand I am sure the essay title is known in the playground.

stevew61
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Sally-Anne wrote:Hi Mommy

I believe that there may still be some late entrants yet to take the RGS tests, so I am asking people to refrain from giving details of the test or essay title in response to your post.

General comments are fine, and a number of them can already be found elsewhere on the Berkshire section.

Sally-Anne - Moderator

Thanks Sally-Anne
kendrick mum?

Post by kendrick mum? »

Dear all

The exam date for girls that were unable to sit in nov is 25th January 2008. I myself was quite surprised that its so late. This can be found on Kendricks own website- No idea about RBS but may possibly be on the same day as exam dates seem to coincide each year.

That is right Isn't it - does anybody know any more?

Kendrick mum?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

kendrick mum?,

Thanks for that, Boarders at Reading sit Thursday 10th January 2008.

So it's possible lates sit on same day with same paper. So agree maybe we should not discuss till Feb 2008.

The lack of transparency at Reading adds to the confusion.

Some say they have been using the same exam paper for the last 882 years, the school say "The tests will build on current good practice adopted in primary schools and will be tests for which no additional preparation is necessary.
No past papers are available and no further information with respect to the tests will be given." :D :D

stevew61
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi Kendrick Mum?

If you are right about the date (25th January 2008), I am really, really :o I had naively assumed the remaining candidates would have taken the test last week or this week at the very latest!

I was going to post some detailed test content on the forum soon, but I won't now - thanks for the tip-off :wink:

Ella
kendrick mum?

Post by kendrick mum? »

Hi Steve

Just cannot agree about no prepn required- The head at kendrick said -I do not want over tutored or over prepared girls, and thats just what she gets every year- all the well prepared children from london, slough etc and hardly any Reading girls from local state schools ( tutored girls from abbey j and St Jo's also get in).

Hi Ella yes- bit shocking jan seems so late. Have to keep mum a while longer.

:D :D Kendrick mum?
Guest2007

Post by Guest2007 »

Taken from the Councils forms:

Applications received after the deadline will
be treated as late applications. However,
applications that are received late for a good
Reading School
39 If you have any queries please contact the Admissions Team on 0118 939 0550 or email: admissions.team@reading.gov.uk
Apply online at www.reading.gov.uk/schooladmissions
reason may be considered, if received before
1 February 2008. Such cases might be if
illness prevented a single parent/carer from
returning the form on time, if the reason for
lateness is supported in writing by a medical
professional involved in the case. Any such
candidates will be tested on 1 February 2008
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now