Forest interview, preparation

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Icepop

Forest interview, preparation

Post by Icepop »

My DD has an interview at forest school, I am trying to find possible questions they would ask, understand that I should let her be as natural as possible but still need to prep her a little on what types of questions are commonly asked.

Have tried to search for list of questions that may be asked , but can't find them.

Would appreciate any advice from parents that have children that have taken the pre- interviews, or somebody please guide me to the forum on interviews for forest school please.

Kind regards
HotCrossBun

Re: Forest interview, preparation

Post by HotCrossBun »

My DD also has a Forest Interview coming up. I haven't been given any inside tips, but I assume that it is more of a friendly chat than a grilling. I am assuming this because parents are in the interview with their children; it precedes the exam; and Forest has a large intake making it less selective than Bancrofts for example.

Our DD has asked us what to expect and we've told her to expect friendly questions such as what are your hobbies; what is a book you've recently read; what is your favourite subject in school, etc. We've told her there are no wrong answers and to just be herself. We have told her to remember her manners and look the interviewer in the eye or at least the face!

HTH
Icepop

Post by Icepop »

Super, thankyou for your reply, I have said similar to my DD, just to be herself like your talking to your own school teachers, favourite books, hobbies, sports maybe asked. Was just a bit worried that she may get nervous a bit to any awkward questions they may ask. taking her to the open day really had helped her get a feel of the school. Will remind her on the eye contact thankyou,
hope it all goes well for your DD.
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

Good luck to your DD too!

I am banking on the fact that all the kids interviewing are just 10/11 years old and the interviews are suppose to be experts with children. I presume that they won't be surprised if the kids go a little shy, feel a little awkward, etc.

This is our oldest child and we have never been through it before. It'd be great if some one with experience would weigh in on this thread. All we can do is guess!
Century14

Post by Century14 »

My daughter went for interview at Forest last year.
It is a very good system, where they interview ALL applicants.

It is not part of the exam, or in any way a test. It is designed to put the children at ease so as when they come to sit the exam in January they feel more relaxed and can hopefully perform to the best of their ability. The member of staff we met was very welcoming and put us both at our ease.

It is done partly with the child on their own, chatting about interests, etc. and then the parent(s) get invited in and have the opportunity to ask any questions that they may have themselves. Just be yourselves!
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

my dd went for an interview at forest last year although she cannot remember what the interview was like and neither can i (from what she told me at the time). funny but i can remember clearly how the interview went for chigwell (which is where she is). the head was really friendly and chatty with her, asked her about her interests. i also remember she was asked to take in something that she was ie reading or had written (ie a story) however this was for chigwell and not forest, can't remember much about forest other than i didn't particularly like it there and preferred chigwell although i know forest is a great school, just not for us. best of luck
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Icepop - is it time already for Forest interview or do you mean that you are preparing for Jan?
Icepop

Post by Icepop »

Hi TP123, forest school is doing interviews this week b4 the exams that will be in January,
It was my DD's first interview for a an independent school.

the interview went well, their were really friendly, lots of smiles from staff as we entered the school, which my DD started comparing this straight away to her current school. It was very much what all of you suggested, she was taken in separately by the head warden and asked questions on hobbies, sports, books she enjoys, also went into depth on the stories of the books she had read.
We were then asked to join her , and for us to ask any questions, overall it went ok, she was a very gently spoken lovely lady , who did make us all feel at ease.

Thanyou for everybody's replies , much appreciated .
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

Thanks Icepop. That's really reassuring. We have our Forest interview coming up. :D
Icepop

Post by Icepop »

No problem, happy to help where I can! When talking about a favourite book she was asked "what the genre is?" , which she answered " fantasy ". So I think there was a tiny element of testing in the interview. She said we interview to see if your child would fit in the school,and on the other hand also advising us on the care they would give.