Brentwood School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pushymother

Brentwood School

Post by pushymother »

Does anyone know of a child who has NOT received a place if parents can afford the fees?

We have decided to only have this private school for our plan "B" because of commute but realise that it requires passing an entrance exam so not a shoe in....

Also anyone with DC attending Brentwood please give your views of the school.

Thanks
loopsngeorge

Re: Brentwood School

Post by loopsngeorge »

I just came on to do a search for Brentwood as well! I don't know for certain, but I have the impression that there is no problem getting a full fees place. I went on a tour of the school last week and the head said that they would try to accommodate anyone who wanted to be educated there and that they were inclusive. Also, it's a pretty big school and they can take up to 180 per year group.

I really liked the teachers I met there. Taking aside the (large) issue of the fees, I'm finding it hard to know what to think of it vs. the grammar schools for quality of education. What are your impressions of it?
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

We loved the school. I think my DD would thrive in that environment of smaller class sizes etc. I also really like the homework club option after school.

The fees will force a major lifestyle change in the household with the added pressure of both of us staying employed and fit (we are older parents) for the next few years.

Big worry is thing number two....two sets of fees...don't know how we would manage that. Will have to worry about that in three years time...will keep up the lottery and pray for a miracle I guess.

I am not confident of a place at Grammar. She was only 10 at the end of July and needed a bit more maturity before the tests.

The disappointing thing is that they took last years reading SAT's as a practice paper last week and she scored at level 5. I think she would hold her own at Grammar but the sheer numbers sitting and her saying the Maths were difficult leaves me doubtful of a pass.

We will pay and are thankful to have that option.
annam2013

Post by annam2013 »

pushymother wrote:Does anyone know of a child who has NOT received a place if parents can afford the fees?

We have decided to only have this private school for our plan "B" because of commute but realise that it requires passing an entrance exam so not a shoe in....

Also anyone with DC attending Brentwood please give your views of the school.

Thanks

My son is in the final year of the "Brentwood Prep school". Though it’s a different school with a different headmaster, but we are in close touch with the Brentwood main school with several of my friends children studying there. Children are usually very happy and well settled there. My son had couple of taster days in the main school and he loved it. Though he sat for the 11 plus, but as I am not the kind of mum who had gone any length to make her boy get into a grammar school, and looking into the sheer number of pupils sitting for it, I am not holding my breath for a place in grammar. I will be very happy (except the fees part) to send my DS to Brentwood school as well.
I know, they do pretty well in GCSE and A levels and IBs as well. If your DCs are sports loving they have extensive sports facilities as well. So, yes all good except the fees of course, which unfortunately we will have to bear. Then mind you, they offer several scholarships well.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I know boys who chose Brentwood over CRGS. They seem very happy there, and do not regret the decision.
moved

Post by moved »

The two boys I know there just missed out on the 11+. Neither is on full fees. One is a music scholar, the other joined in yr 7 and did his mother is a part time teacher. Both families have loved the school and both boys got excellent GCSEs.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Thank you all for your information.

I just signed up for an extra work project yesterday. I am starting to prepare for the fees in September....
mkl

Post by mkl »

My DD chose Brentwood over CCHS and is very happy. She's grown so much in confidence in just over a month there.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

mkl wrote:My DD chose Brentwood over CCHS and is very happy. She's grown so much in confidence in just over a month there.

Thanks for the info
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now