Learning Piano without going for Grade Exams

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
harrow123

Learning Piano without going for Grade Exams

Post by harrow123 »

Hope everyone is doing good

My child has done couple of grades in Piano and now he is insisting he does not want learn Piano any more.

Looks like he does not want to learn Scales. I have no knowledge on Piano or any music instruments.

I am trying to convince my son to continue Piano lessons and practice some songs but I told him not to go for exams. This way he will not stop learning Piano at least.

Any other parent in similar situation, is this common ?

Suggestions please and thanks in advance
Tinkers

Re: Learning Piano without going for Grade Exams

Post by Tinkers »

My DD has been learning piano for just over a year. Her teacher asked if she wanted to do grade exams. She said no. He checked with me if that was ok. I said yes. If she just wants to learn for enjoyment I'm very happy with that. If in the future she wants to do them then fine. He said I was being very sensible. He hadn't been made to do them as a child. He has a music degree from Oxford.

I suspect not doing them gives both teacher and student more freedom over what they learn. If he enjoys playing but hates the scales then not doing exams might mean he carries on rather than gives up. He can always do grades later if he needs or wants to.

I've been 'told off' in the past for not making her do them, but it is her choice to learn and they tested so much in the rest of their lives. I just want her to continue enjoying it.
erisindevon

Post by erisindevon »

My DD1 (Year 8 ) has been learning guitar for a few years, and according to her teacher is around grade 3 standard. However, she refuses point blank to even consider taking any kind of test that isn't compulsory. As far as she's concerned, she's always being tested on subjects at school and she accepts that as something she has to tolerate, but she sees no reason to put herself under unnecessary pressure.

I find it disappointing in some ways, because I'm the sort of person that likes to measure my own progress, but I'm not going to push her. She always does well in school tests, but she has no interest in comparing herself with anyone else (admirable in some ways). Guitar is for fun, so what's the point of grade exams?

DD2, on the other hand, is desperate to take her Grade 2 instrument test :)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Ditto, ds1 learnt classic guitar and didn't do the grades, whatever he played sounded lovely after a few excruciating weeks, isn't that ultimately the point?

Hopefully he will enjoy it more without the agenda. :D
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Find a teacher who is supportive and willing to make this fun. My mum (now in her 60s) has played piano all her life, studied to Gd 8 in her youth. She has recently stated piano lessons again to learn to play jazz, and loves it. It was just a case of finding the right teacher.

My one child who doesn't have any conventional piano lessons plays really well, he's taught himself using youtube! He has great fun, even if it hurts me to watch his fingers!

Music should be fun and lifelong, it saddens me when children 'give-up' an instrument. Just because lessons have stopped it doesn't mean playing has to. It's been years since I took A level English, but I still read for pleasure.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd played piano up to grade 3. She was very good at it. She didn't like the exams. So much so it put her off. She hardly plays anymore :cry:

Please, if your child wants to play, let them do it for fun. If they're really serious about it and NEED the exms later on then they can sit them at a later date.

My one regret for dd :cry:
succeed

Post by succeed »

Totally agree. My son lost the love of learning music at the tender age of 8, due to 'scales'!!
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

thanks to all, we are not alone then :)

i will have to let them do what they want to do then
Amber

Post by Amber »

My DD aced grade 1 piano about ten years ago with a distinction and then announced that she didn't want any more lessons. For about 4 years she didn't touch the piano. Now, we are constantly entertained by her improvised playing - she seems to be able to reproduce pieces she hears and likes and I love the sound of it carrying through the house. She uses the piano for relaxation in a way I don't think ever occurred to her while she was having lessons. I think having a love of music is far more important than ticking off the grades and as a family we are benefitting much more from having what I think is a natural musician here, even if teachers would probably suck their teeth at her technique!

I think with the tendency for everything to be graded and examined these days, if a child wants to opt out of doing it in one area where they can, their creativity should be applauded. :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I was similar as a child. I got to grade 2 and then announced that I wasn't going to do any more exams. I continued playing for a few years after that & enjoyed it a lot more (can't remember how to play now :().
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now