SPGS or CoLG

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

SPGS or CoLG

Post by tiffinboys »

Looking at independent schools, how these two schools differentiate? At which school, a child from state primary would be more comfortable, if given the choice?
mad?

Re: SPGS or CoLG

Post by mad? »

I would choose SPGS as it is much nearer and that would trump everything for me. IF they were equidistant in travel time I would choose CLGS because it seemed to me to have a more diverse intake and be cheaper :)
mad?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks mads. Both school would need commuting on train/underground. Any idea about interviews? How are these different at each of these schools? What's their emphasize on?
mad?

Post by mad? »

We didn't apply for either so can't really help you there.
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think you would find a lot more state students at City. They are part of the North London Consortium which many state students sit. The interview at City is very straightforward. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks DG. Straight forward interview is more of problem at times. DCj prefer to give sort of out of box answers. Current teachers tend to ignore her all the times. If she likes some topic, she reads about it like mad, much beyond her age. We are not much into sports or music, just to grade 3 in one instrument. Are these essential at SPGS or CLSG?

Any advise on interviews most welcome.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sport and Music is available but optional. Interviews are not until Feb so best to focus on the exams first. DG
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

I just got back from the CLGS open morning. The interesting things I learned:

1. The first thing the new head stressed to all the parents before her speech to us, was to think very carefully about whether the school which is very academic is the right place for our daughters and to consider whether the location was right for our daughters. So basically, she tried to put you off before beginning any sales pitch.

2. Last year they had to add an additional class to their normal yr 7 intake because more girls accepted offers than ever before.

3. There were more parents and daughters at the open morning than available seats in the auditorium. Standing room only folks! Apparently this hasn't happened in previous years.

4. When the head of years 7/8 got up to talk to us about admissions, she begged everyone to calm down, not tutor so much, and not to apply to so many schools. Apparently the whole mad situation is wearing everyone out parents and educators alike!

5. The "English" bit of the exam will be a "continue the story format." DAO Groupie is a master of these.

6. The interview is not just a friendly chat. It will include tricky questions where the interviewer is trying to discover how the children learn and think. The point is to ask the children questions that are difficult and over their heads in order to see how their thought processes work.

HTH
Last edited by HotCrossBun on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Very interesting feedback, thank you. All these schools are being overwhelmed with applications so are having to devise new strategies of dealing with them. Trying to put off those who are undecided is one of them! But I think the Year Head is being unrealistic. Preparing and having backup plans is the best approach to a highly competitive situation. Those who only apply to a couple of schools and do not prepare are less likely to have options. The English format has been continue the story for some time [Edited by moderator] With too many girls accepting the offers I wonder if they will have a higher exam bar to get through to interview this year. Did she make any comment about NLCS coming out of the consortium this year and having their own exam? DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks DG and Hotcrossbun. Very helpful.
Have to cover for interviews.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now