TOGS/TWGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Everycloud

TOGS/TWGS

Post by Everycloud »

Hi all,

What's the likelihood of getting into TOGS or TWGS if you live in East Sussex (Crowborough)? DD has sat the 11+....

House sale going through now (so drawn out) and will complete before 31st Oct. Like Crowborough area but I see that East Sussex have zero GS's, so where do children who want GS's go?

Has anyone any knowledge of children from East Sussex getting into GS's?

Moving house, 11+ results, school selection - couldn't have timed this better could we!!!

Thanks all
Guest55

Re: TOGS/TWGS

Post by Guest55 »

East Sussex hasn't had a GS since 1978!

There are some very good comprehensives; certainly where I taught we sent students regularly to Oxbridge.
Everycloud

Post by Everycloud »

Thanks Guest55 - how naive am I!!!!!

Never looked at East Sussex area before, always been in Kent! Will start researching comps - any in particular that you think are worth looking at?

Thanks for your help!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Well it's a while since I lived in East Sussex but The Beacon in Crowborough always had a good reputation.

Have a look at their website:

http://www.beacon-academy.org/web/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Everycloud

Post by Everycloud »

Will get clicking! Thanks Guest55 :)
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

Chance of getting into TWGS - almost Zero as the catchment area is very tight.

TOGs has 35 governor places for girls outside of the catchment area but they are awarded based on score so the top achievers get in. The scores for out of area children have been lower over the past couple of years as they took an extra class. Check their website for details.

You may also want to look at Weald of Kent as that has had quite a big catchment area in the last couple of years which may stretch as far as Crowborough. Again, the catchment area is shown on their website.

We are in East Sussex too and hoping for a place at TOGs or Weald of Kent. It's a bit of a lottery though so we're keeping our fingers crossed.
Everycloud

Post by Everycloud »

Thanks Purple - I had a brief look on the websites. I will definitely cross off TWGS and will visit Weald.

Have got so many dates in my head - Kent forms have to be in by Nov 5th but East Sussex to be in by 31st.

Really want the house in Crowborough but don't know whether to take the risk - looks like we will be moving before the results so it's just all a complete nightmare.

What's happens if you don't get TOGS or WOK - have you any others in mind?

EC
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You only submit one CAF to your local LA but you can name schools 'anywhere'.
Everycloud

Post by Everycloud »

I was just dreaming about submitting two!!!! My life would be so much easier!
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

I don't think there are any other Grammar options.
I have heard good things about Heathfield, Uplands and Beacon but we are also looking at Independent options.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now