2 Questions!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
busybee10

2 Questions!

Post by busybee10 »

1. DC is doing exams in September- how much work should we be doing over holidays/ what is everyone else doing?
2. Does anyone have much knowledge about the RC schools and how many non- RC's got in last year- Is it worth going for St Ambrose if we are NOT RC but live a couple of miles from the school?
Thank u
Vicster

Re: 2 Questions!

Post by Vicster »

Looking around and finding a thread from last year it would seem very possible that all of the places to to catholic boys.
If you look at the admission criteria on the schools website it looks like out of catchment RC boys get priority over in catchment non catholic boys.
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Hi Busybee, My DS is sitting this year also, we are doing something each day during the hols. It doesnt always go down too well as you can expect but it is now or never so to speak, concentrating on GL papers and of course having a crash course in NVR for Altrincham Boys. We are out of area so the pressure is on for a higher score, i would say around an hour a day unless he has something special to do then I would let him off for that day. I keep telling him it is not forever and he will be rewarded for all his hard work after the exams. He is going to one of the summer schools at the end of August also for that extra push which I hope he will enjoy having all the other children in the same situation. He will also sit St A but he is fortunate to be of catholic faith, i really dont know if any non catholic boys got a place for September intake, however i do believe they did the year before. I suppose you have nothing to lose by sitting it if your DS is willing, you never know. Good Luck
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

1. Ive let up on DC a bit following a real dip in scores. Just doing Bond 10 minute test at the moment.
2. I think St Ambrose/ Loreto tend just to let RC children that are Christened but you could always ring the school and ask how many non-RC's get in. I have just read the terrible news about St ambrose in the MEN, hopefully it's a better place now.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Nimbus wrote:I think St Ambrose/ Loreto tend just to let RC children that are Christened but you could always ring the school and ask how many non-RC's get in. I have just read the terrible news about St ambrose in the MEN, hopefully it's a better place now.
The wording the BBC quoted from their statement isn't entirely reassuring:
St Ambrose RC College said in a statement it found it "abhorrent that Morris has been found to have betrayed the trust and responsibility that had been placed in him as a teacher".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-28855495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

Stroller- Not the most reassuring of statements. The MEN article also states the poor boy was expected to get an A in his A' Level but ended up getting a D because they had been taught completely the wrong syllabus- this was also hushed up. :(
smiler10

Post by smiler10 »

In the last couple of years it seems to have been only boys that are baptized as RC have got in on the first round. I believe Non- RC boys with brothers in the school and Christian boys with a letter from a minister have got in on appeal. I think before that more boys from other faiths used to get in.
Altymumof2

Post by Altymumof2 »

busybee10 wrote:1. DC is doing exams in September- how much work should we be doing over holidays/ what is everyone else doing?
2. Does anyone have much knowledge about the RC schools and how many non- RC's got in last year- Is it worth going for St Ambrose if we are NOT RC but live a couple of miles from the school?
Thank u
I asked St Ambrose about the Non-RC question and they said only 1 or 2. They do not have to give any places to Non-Catholics if enough RC boys pass and apply.
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

St Ambrose don't have to give any places to non Catholics as it is an academy.