For TN13/14 parents of boys - Trinity or TWBGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Essex2Kent

For TN13/14 parents of boys - Trinity or TWBGS

Post by Essex2Kent »

When our DDs went through the 11 plus we had two good Tonbridge Schools in WOK and TOGS and TWiGGS was also very good indeed. For our sons though we only have Judd nearby and while Skinners is also excellent and they have their own private bus I again do not feel TWBGS is an option for the just passed sons as its too far away and I just didn't like it not did our boys.

So having met Mr Tate at Trinity and he explained their Grammar stream was NOT just a top set but a different sylbaus I am thinking if our twins do not pass OR if they pass under 400 (or whatever the equiv is with the new test) that they will do Trinity. We are not far from the new site so should be OK.

I was just wondering if anyone else had consider Trinity over TWBGS?

Thanks
Minty

Re: For TN13/14 parents of boys - Trinity or TWBGS

Post by Minty »

Every year I see the same comments on here about TWGSB, mostly from people who do not have children there. Yes, it is a big school and some schools certainly suit some children more than others, but it is wrong to write it off as a school for those who 'have only just passed'.

There are plenty of boys there who achieved super-selective scores, but chose it anyway and many others who are highly academically able, but simply did not have achieve their best marks on the day to get into the SS's. My ds is now in yr11, he is hardworking, polite, has a lovely group of friends and on track to do very well in his GCSE's, but above he is all very happy there.

I am sure Trinity will be a very good option as have only heard excellent reports about it, especially if location is a prime consideration, but I feel it is a real shame that TWGSB is sometimes seen as a second rate option, as all the boys who go there have worked hard to gain their passes and should be proud of their school and their achievements.

Minty
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

Thanks for your input Minty. Appreciate the same.

For me its too big, too far and when I have been the boys look disinterested and when I have driven past they are normally scruffy with the older ones smoking etc.

Trinity is unknown. As the grammar option they have was not a top set option and its far far more local I was canvassing opinion on them.

We will look at ALL options I promise at we let the boys choose in the end its them that go there.

Thanks
doodles

Post by doodles »

Essex2Kent wrote:For me its too big, too far and when I have been the boys look disinterested and when I have driven past they are normally scruffy with the older ones smoking etc.
You won't see this with Trinity children because there aren't any older children there yet. Believe me even the best dressed teenager is capable of looking super scruffy and oh so bored!!! And believe me those squeaky clean yr7's at Trinity will very quickly morph into such teenagers.

Please do give the Tunbridge Wells schools full consideration and don't dismiss them because of the journey, they take it in their stride and it becomes part of everyday life, in fact on non-club days my boys use the public bus and are back at home in Sevenoaks at about 4.30p.m. - not that late!

Trinity and TWGSB are very different beasts, one is a school where there will be very few older children and your child will always be at the top end of the school and TWGSB is a large well established school where your children will have the benefit of older children.

Both are excellent schools but you have to decide what you want / like for your child, it really is horses for courses. Go with an open mind and have a good think about what you see and hear.
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

Essex2Kent wrote:......they are normally scruffy with the older ones smoking etc.....
I need to add that quote to the one I saw putting TWBGS because someone had reported there being a fight at the school!!

Most kids I see today wear their uniform in such a non compliant way so that they are as scruffy as they can get away with when they walk into school in the morning.

Learning how to rebel and walk close to the line is just part of growing up. What 11 year old wants to sit around in a shirt tie and blazer all day anyway, especially when most of their dads now dont wear ties to work.

Times are a changing :)
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

Colmans wrote:
Essex2Kent wrote:......they are normally scruffy with the older ones smoking etc.....
I need to add that quote to the one I saw putting TWBGS because someone had reported there being a fight at the school!!

Most kids I see today wear their uniform in such a non compliant way so that they are as scruffy as they can get away with when they walk into school in the morning.

Learning how to rebel and walk close to the line is just part of growing up. What 11 year old wants to sit around in a shirt tie and blazer all day anyway, especially when most of their dads now dont wear ties to work.

Times are a changing :)
Skinners and judd seem to manage ok ........
bristols

Post by bristols »

People need to bear in mind that although the "Word on the street" may be that Trinity is "excellent", the school in reality is as yet, completely untested. No Ofsted report and no exam results and until we get those there is absolutely no way of knowing how well the school is doing. I very much look forward to reading an Ofsted report, but until then the jury is still out.

For an insight into what they get up to all day you may find the following video from Trinity's website informative:

http://www.trinitysevenoaks.org.uk/inde ... dent-video

Most of the people I know who have chosen it have done so to avoid Knole. If your child is lucky enough to pass the 11+, then Tunbridge Wells Boys every time.
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

bristols wrote:People need to bear in mind that although the "Word on the street" may be that Trinity is "excellent", the school in reality is as yet, completely untested. No Ofsted report and no exam results and until we get those there is absolutely no way of knowing how well the school is doing. I very much look forward to reading an Ofsted report, but until then the jury is still out.

For an insight into what they get up to all day you may find the following video from Trinity's website informative:

http://www.trinitysevenoaks.org.uk/inde ... dent-video

Most of the people I know who have chosen it have done so to avoid Knole. If your child is lucky enough to pass the 11+, then Tunbridge Wells Boys every time.
Head said they've bern inspected twice last year and were excellent ?????

Twbg is still a long way from 7oaks villages
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Any Ofsted inspection report should be on their website.

Incidentally 'excellent' isn't an Ofsted grading ....
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

I went to the open evening at Trinity last night. The Headteacher said that Government inspectors have been to visit the school twice in the last year and that they have judged the school to be good to outstanding. The results for last years year 7 were assessed by two separate schools (examples of work assessed to ensure grading was accurate) and I think it was about 90% of students were making 2 sub levels of progress in that first year.
It will always be a tough choice for locality versus distance. My eldest DS is at TWGSB and loves it. He is doing well, making good progress and is very happy.
There are so many factors to consider, such as languages, triple science versus double or completely separate sciences. All schools (even the superselectives) have downsides and all have positives. In the end, I think if your DS is happy, motivated and with encouraging and supportive parents, they will be fine at either of these schools and do well. :D