St Olaves v Judd

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
starfish1

St Olaves v Judd

Post by starfish1 »

Did anyone get the sense that St Olaves is harder to get in compared to Judd?
parent2013

Re: St Olaves v Judd

Post by parent2013 »

Yes, it is much much harder.

Olave's - you have to beat other bright & heavily tutored students to get into top 124. No age benefit.

Judd - you get a top score 423 (80% raw score across all papers + age benefit) and you will get Judd.
starfish1

Post by starfish1 »

Thanks, I thought so. Also weirdly we didn't feel St Olave's compared favorably to Judd...are they hugely different though? Both seem to get excellent results and boys seemed happy in both?
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

I have feedback from a parent which child is in St. Olaves. Teachers rely heavily on parents supporting their children and continuing with private tutoring. Also your DS has to be a little writer/journalist to pass creative writing.
Jiffreturns

Post by Jiffreturns »

When I read this my heart sank and I felt compelled to re-register so I could comment.

I have had 2 DSs go through St Olave's (the younger one left last year). Both of them really enjoyed their time there and neither of them received extra tuition in any subject. They both left with good A'levels and went on to top universities, having been well supported by teachers at the school.

I appreciate that things may have changed lower down the school since the current headmaster arrived a few years ago, but I get slightly weary of people posting negative comments about the school based on hearsay rather than direct experience.
mum2003

Post by mum2003 »

I have DD currently in year 10 ay St Olaves and completely agree with Jiffreturns that no such things happens. up to now no tutoring has been needed and DD has been getting fantastic results. I will put that down to brilliant teaching and regular monitoring. They are doing a fantastic job at St O to keep on improving and its not fair to put it down to Headmaster based on hearsay. Up to now my DD is enjoying school and the environment is perfect for kids who wants to study and achieve success.
Mama H

Post by Mama H »

Hello,

I think you should go with what feels right for your son. I have a son at St Olave's and have no regrets at all. He is not tutored but is doing really well. I do not think he is expected to work any harder than his friends in other grammar schools after school hours. I know of a few cases in which children have passed the St Olave's and not top scorers in the Kent 11plus exams. All I can say is if your son is able to pass the exams he is good enough and will make it at either school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now