Sir William Ramsey

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daddy123

Sir William Ramsey

Post by Daddy123 »

Just curious to hear from parents, who have DC attending SWR..
How is the teaching, discipline, extra curricular, pastoral care etc.
Would visit the school next year but wanted to get an overview before shortlisting it one of the options.
bucksdad8623

Re: Sir William Ramsey

Post by bucksdad8623 »

My DS has only been there for a month so it’s early days.
Their pastoral care seems very good, my DS had a few problems initially which were proactively dealt with by the school before the problem escalated.
So on the face of it they take discipline seriously. I think the head teacher genuinely wants what’s best for all the kids.
The school is very hot on awarding good behavior and punishing bad.

I am worried that my DS isn’t getting enough homework, but I am comparing him to his friends at the grammar schools so it’s probably an unfair comparison.
In year 7 the pupils are streamed for maths and PE?? but not English. However most of the boys in my DS maths class are also in his science class so there must be some streaming going on even if it’s unofficial.
I say boys because if you talk to my DS it sounds like he’s at an all boys school.

There are lots of extra curricular activities, I found this link on the SWR website.

http://swr.bucks.sch.uk/downloads/lette ... 202014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hi bucksdad, great to hear from you again, hope all is well.
Obviously early days yet, but just wondering about your knowledge/experience of the gifted and talented element that uppers provide and how it works. My friends boy has done it for maths and science at risborough, she says it's good but the owness is very much on the child and the parent to do the extra work and marking at home using materials provided by the school.
Not suggesting my youngest will be in the top group, but he is quite a sharp cookie in some subjects (sciences) so I am interested.

Thank you.
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi Southbucks3,
It’s good to hear from you too, I hope your boy is settling in well at JHGS. I wish I could answer your question, this last month has been very hectic so we haven’t contacted the school about putting my DS on the program.
I haven’t had much contact with his tutor other than at the beginning of term and it seemed too early to discuss it.
There is an upcoming open door meeting with the head and academic review day so I’ll discuss it then. Being new to this, I don’t want to appear overly pushy with the school but I suspect unless I push it might not happen.
I suspect if I’d been more pushy in the middle school he might not be at SWR now, but that’s another story…

Since he failed the 11+ my DS has started Kumon to help with his maths and English and has made good progress.
It means he does on average 45 minutes extra work a day, if being on the gifted and talented program results in significant extra work we’ll have to weigh up where we prioritize.

When I find out more about the program I’ll let you know.
Daddy123

Post by Daddy123 »

Thanks Bucksdad for the info. Appreciated.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now