Going from small village school to large grammar..

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Clarek851

Going from small village school to large grammar..

Post by Clarek851 »

Morning,

If my daughter passes her 11+ (find out this weekend :) ) she will go from a year group of 5 in her current year 6 to around 120.

Did anyone else's child go from a small setting to a large and how did they cope?

Many thanks

Clare
Snowdrops

Re: Going from small village school to large grammar..

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, my dd did. There were 10 children in her year 6 and she was the only one to go to her school, and that school admits 117 (or thereabouts) each year.

She settled in fine. You will find in secondary there are lots of others in the same boat. They soon find their feet and the opportunity to have so many friends (as well as keeping the old ones) can be quite thrilling.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DS went from a year group of 9 to a year group of 112 also (and moved across the country) - managed fine.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Same here, both mine coped absolutely fine. Better in fact, for having a bigger choice of friendship groups.
Clarek851

Post by Clarek851 »

That's great thank you. Likely to be the only one going to the preferred school so she'll know no one. But yes agree about the wider circle of friends, being an only child and in a small group at school it's got to be an improvement, I hope...
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I have twins. Year group of 16, school of 110. They have both gone to different schools, neither one went to a school anyone else was going to so knew nobody and not even with their twin. Still ok. Not saying they don't miss each other, but it was far less of an issue than we thought, and making friends when they know no one has not been an issue.
Clarek851

Post by Clarek851 »

Thank you ladies, it's an Indie with no catchment area. Just heard a few girls from our local primary have taken the 11+ so hopefully she get to know some additional friends in the village also, a huge bonus.