CSSE Bus Passes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
inmystride

CSSE Bus Passes

Post by inmystride »

Was wondering if anyone could explain why children at consortium schools are not permitted to buy their bus passes directly through Stephenson's. Having two children at Colchester grammar schools I am paying £72 more per year for exactly the same seats as children from the other schools.
FlightyRachel

Re: CSSE Bus Passes

Post by FlightyRachel »

We pay daily for my son to travel to SHSB as we found the pass didn't save us money, and now we don't pay on snow days, illness days, if he's late after school etc. The Stephenson's Southend bound routes are public so you don't need to be registered to use them. I'd give them a ring direct to check what you can do as I don't know the Colchester routes I'm afraid.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Yes I did phone Stephenson's who explained that they have an 'agreement' with the CSSE. Couldn't get through to CSSE on the phone so am awaiting their reply to an email, but thought that I couldn't possibly be the first parent to question this admin charge! :?
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

inmystride wrote:Yes I did phone Stephenson's who explained that they have an 'agreement' with the CSSE. Couldn't get through to CSSE on the phone so am awaiting their reply to an email, but thought that I couldn't possibly be the first parent to question this admin charge! :?
I asked this question about three years ago. Apparently it is to do with the schools recognising the agreement. If a child arrives late on a designated bus they are treated differently with regards to late marks. I think it means you are 'authorised' late (if you know what I mean) rather than late without an excuse. The schools do not seem to view being late because of a public bus problem the same. It also helps that the designated buses inform the school when there are delays.

I have a child at Colchester and one at Southend and I think the Southend school gives out different coloured Late Cards to those on the designated buses.

Sorry to be so vague but it is quite a while since I queried it. Perhaps someone else may enlighten us.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I think you are right about the 'late' aspect - although we are way too close to use the Consortium buses here, it makes sense that there will be confirmation that there was a problem, so to speak.

However, SHSG at least does take notice of travel problems affecting those using public services; a while ago Arriva changed their timetable which meant that the number 1, which a lot of the OOC girls coming into Southend Victoria use for the onward journey, was arriving late at the school. Until Arriva were prevailed upon to change the timetable again, the girls who used that route were treated more leniently. Also, DS1 and DD travel n c2c and on a couple of occasions when I have rung in to tell the school that there are problems on the line they - and others who use that route, I hope, have not been marked as late on that occasion. Admittedly, they do only go out in time for the very last possible train in the morning, but given that it is timetabled to get to Southend East in plenty of time, I have given up nagging them to leave home 15 minutes earlier :x
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I never had any problems with CRGS on the few occasions DS has been late due to public bus problems. Colchester is well renowned for its traffic problems especially when it rains like yesterday! The staff are often affected as well, so know that there is a problem.
moved

Post by moved »

DD is taking the school bus this term, but due to orchestra and other commitments she ends up on the public bus home a couple of times a week.

As she is over 16 the train is more expensive than the school bus but less expensive than the extra cost and the bus fare. She has the additional problem that in the evenings the bus drops her 30 min walk from home.

Our solution for next term is the train and a bicycle.

We live near Chelmsford CCHS and she is at CRGS.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Spoke to a very helpful woman at CSSE. Apparently an agreement was set up 9 years ago between the consortium and the bus company after a different bus company went bust, resulting in parents losing money. CSSE now collect the money and pay the bus company in arrears.

I fully understand the need for an admin charge when there is a middle man, but am still concerned that I have no choice but to buy the tickets through the CSSE when students from other schools using the same bus get their tickets without having to pay extra. Making the situation worse is the fact that some students from my daughter's school were 'mistakenly' sold tickets directly by the bus company.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Moved: Had an email today from CoCHS saying that their students will now be able to travel by rail at a discount - up to almost 50% for over 16's from memory. Will be interested to see if CRGS are also on board.
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks Inmy,

Half fare on the train will be an excellent deal and cheaper than the bus. She could even get a bus pass and take the bus to and from the train station.