Slow cookers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Slow cookers

Post by fatbananas »

Anyone have particular recommendations for these? I see there is Crockpot, Morphy Richards, Breville, Russell Hobs. Are there advantages to some; or others I should avoid?

Thank you :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
doodles

Re: Slow cookers

Post by doodles »

Crockpot fan here, love mine. Just make sure you get a removable pot, mine also came with a diffuser so I can use the pot on the hob to get started and it goes in the oven too. I also got a really big size and freeze extra portions.

Get one and enjoy.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I bought my mum a crockpot and she loves it.

Again make sure the cooking pot is separate to the heating element for easier cleaning etc.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Oh yes, I liked the look of the 4.7 litre crockpot on JLs site, though it doesn't mention putting it in oven. Is yours digital? There are 2 of that size, one digital, one not. Wasn't sure what the advantage of that was?

Do you have any specific cookbook recommendations?

Sorry for all the questions. Desperate 11+ diversionary tactics! :oops:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Concur with whats already been said. I have both a crock pot that can come out and be used on the hob, and another with a removable pot but its heavy and crock. Lovely and big though.
Absolutely LOVE it. Nothing like being out all day and coming in to the smell of your dinner cooking all by itself. Get a book, there are some wonderful ways to use it, or just pinterest, loads ideas.

Sara Lewis does a good cookbook.

Or just look here!

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q ... mplete%7C0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doodles

Post by doodles »

There's a really funny old little paperback called Slow Cooking Properly Explained which is great for basics.

Mines a 5.7l saute countdown slow cooker by crock pot. It's on their own website and goes in the oven and the freezer.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Sorry Tinkers we cross posted. Thanks for another crockpot recommendation. This is making my choice easier!

Now I've cross posted with Yamin! I'm just not quick enough at this time of the evening!

Ahhh and now Doodles! Thank you for the book recommendations. Am now going to hunt for the 5.7 litre version!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:There's a really funny old little paperback called Slow Cooking Properly Explained which is great for basics.

Mines a 5.7l saute countdown slow cooker by crock pot. It's on their own website and goes in the oven and the freezer.
How the heck do you ever fit it in your freezer? I can't fit anything in mine that isn't in an old plastic bag and rammed in forcefully sacrificing half a pound of frozen peas and something unidentifiable in the process!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

doodles wrote:There's a really funny old little paperback called Slow Cooking Properly Explained which is great for basics.
First published in 1979, which is the same year I acquired my slow cooker, and I still have the book.

Does this make me a really funny old little crockpot? :?: :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

No but it makes you brilliant like the book :lol: