Last one (for us) - Sutton Grammar! 15th Nov.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
YoungSuccess

Last one (for us) - Sutton Grammar! 15th Nov.

Post by YoungSuccess »

Pheww. A month breather!

How many in the same boat? If Wilsons and WCGS were indications of what it's likely going to be, my gosh. :)

Do you think Wilsons, WCGS, SG and others consult each other when setting the second round questions?!

Ladymuck, over to you! :lol:
Ladymuck

Re: Last one (for us) - Sutton Grammar! 15th Nov.

Post by Ladymuck »

Per Guest55 no test content must ever be revealed, so deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suttonmum

Post by suttonmum »

A couple of points arising from above post.
1. The postcodes for the local places go beyond the Borough of Sutton, especially the KTs. My estimate is 30-40 more 'local' boys will get places than in the last few years.
2. My son passed all 3 tests 3 years ago (S, W, W) and got his first choice (Sutton). He said at the time that Sutton was the hardest of the tests.
3. I suspect that more local people will put Sutton first on their lists as they will think they have more chance of a place (possibly not understanding the preference system). In addition they may be keen on a school where the majority of the boys are a bit more local than has been the case.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Most of KT4 is in Sutton borough. A part is also in Epsom & Ewell, and Kingston (small part - old Malden side).
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Ladymuck wrote:A search for admissionlady's posts may help you. I think she posted about the reasoning behind the changes in the process.

If I were preparing for Sutton, I would take the following into account:-

a) the change in admission criteria: 75 places are reserved for boys in certain postcodes. Bear in mind that there are only around 1,100 year 6 boys in the entire borough of Sutton. Even if half of them sat the SET, and knowing that the SET had around 40% passing, you'd be looking at most at around 220 boys in Sutton who will be sitting the second round. The odds of getting a SGS place if you are local are not bad, as I suspect that far less than 50% of all year 6 boys sat the SET, let alone favour SGS.

b) I don't think the headmaster has changed recently. If not, then from this forum we know a) that he is a statistician, b) he personally reads all of the essays of the highest scoring boys who would be likely to gain admission, and places a lot of weight on the English and c) he knows the level of tests that he needs to set to get the boys he wants.

c) Sutton Grammar sits the WJEC English Language GCSE.

In light of the above I don't think that the Sutton maths will be as difficult as the other 2. Still challenging, but not quite as challenging as today. English - I would be expecting 2 written pieces, around a side of A4 each. Traditionally the SGS writing tasks have been persuasive writing and a traditional essay. I would certainly look at the foundation level WJEC English papers for ideas on the type of tasks which might be set, eg http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/a12-4172-01.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Thank you very much LM. Very helpful as always. Got completely distracted by Wallington's Question4Gate saga and didn't reply to your post! Do update if you have any more new info.
Nara

Post by Nara »

very good information above. How can I find out the number of girls in year 6 in Sutton?
My daughter is trying Noncuch...
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nara

Post by Nara »

thank you Ladymuck
Jem123

Post by Jem123 »

Looking at the SGS website I am rather confused re when we hear the results of the second exam. On the Admissions Criteria for Year 7 Entry 2015 page it says we find out in March and if your son was not offered a place you are then given some information re tests results to help you understand how your son performed in the tests. However, in the FAQs Second Stage Test 2015 Entry it says that we will receive an email from SGS after their Committee has met usually mid to end December. This email says whether they've met the required standard or not and, if they haven't, you are given your son's marks. Does anyone know which is correct? Thanks.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Email to school and they would clarify. Admission staff there usually respond within a day or two.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now