Hertfordshire CAF or STF (Why only 4 preference permitted ?)

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

agajera

Hertfordshire CAF or STF (Why only 4 preference permitted ?)

Post by agajera »

Hertfordshire County Council online secondary school transfer application permits maximum of 4 preferences only. I know that other local authorities permit up to 6 preference. So herts residents have 2 less preferences.

Any idea why is the difference in the number of preference permitted by various LAs ?

Has any one managed to add 2 more preferences (6 preferences in total) such that we get same options as other nearby LAs ?
Daogroupie

Re: Hertfordshire CAF or STF (Why only 4 preference permitte

Post by Daogroupie »

Count yourself lucky! When I applied in 2009 and 2010 it was only 3 choices. This is only the fourth year of 4 choices. They consulted and increased it to 4 and so you need to work within that limit. Now you sit the exams and get the results before the CAF 4 should be enough. You can't get any more if you live in Herts. DG
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

agajera wrote:Any idea why is the difference in the number of preference permitted by various LAs ?
LAs have the right to decide what is appropriate for their area (subject to a minimum of 3 preferences):
    • For applications in the normal admissions round, local authorities must provide a common application form (CAF) that enables parents to express their preference for a place at any state funded school, with a minimum of 3 preferences in rank order ....
      [Admissions Code]
Has any one managed to add 2 more preferences (6 preferences in total) such that we get same options as other nearby LAs ?
I can't see an online form allowing this, and there's unlikely to be enough space on a paper form. (In any case, any extra preferences would have to be ignored because the same rules must apply to everyone in the area where the LA is responsible for co-ordinating admissions. :))
Etienne
agajera

Post by agajera »

Yes. 4 Options should be enough if we knew the merit ranking of all the exams. My DS has appeared for 11plus entrance for other areas where schools do not tell you the score achieved and in one case the exam is actually held after 31 October.

So in reality 4 options may not be enough if you are considering schools in other areas and willing to relocate provided your kid get into the school.
madsystem

Post by madsystem »

It really is unfair with people in london applying for hertfordshire schools. Should be a level playing field.
Has anyone taken this to adjudicator
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Has anyone taken this to adjudicator
The Adjudicator would surely conclude that the LA is complying fully with admissions law?
    • For applications in the normal admissions round, local authorities must provide a common application form (CAF) that enables parents to express their preference for a place at any state funded school, with a minimum of 3 preferences in rank order ....
      [Admissions Code]
Etienne
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

agajera wrote: So in reality 4 options may not be enough if you are considering schools in other areas and willing to relocate provided your kid get into the school.
Ummm...

Not sure that this is really the reason on which any LA should be basing their decision as to how many preferences over the statutory minimum they will allow :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I am impressed that there are children out there who meet the admissions criteria for more than 4 schools in S W Herts. Exceptionally able Catholics with a good musical ear, perhaps?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

East Sussex only get three choices ....
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

We're in Harrow so get 6 choices. We found it too many tbh, we only put 5 schools down and even school no 5 we weren't that keen on.

I would agree that 3 is too few as it was in herts a few years ago but I think 4 is fine. It should be 4 for everyone in my opinion.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now