Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ancmic

at what level should you consider appeal

Post by ancmic »

we have just had our daughters results
this is for Lincs and she scored 210 with a pass mark of 220
she is also eldest in her year, turned 11 at the beginning of September
She has been doing really well with the practice papers and is devastated she isn't going (she drove it and was pushing to go to Grammar school)

at what level would you consider an appeal? I don't think she scored highly enough to merit it and don't know if I would want to put her through the appeal process?

any thoughts greatly received
Etienne

Re: at what level should you consider appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
at what level would you consider an appeal? I don't think she scored highly enough to merit it .....
Alex might have a view if she's around - but I'd be inclined to weigh up some other issues:

• What sort of appeal success rate has there been for the school(s) you have in mind?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That will give you a clue as to what your chances might be.

• What sort of academic case can you put together:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The stronger, and more wide-ranging, the academic evidence, the greater the chance that it might outweigh the shortfall in the 11+ score.

• Not necessarily essential, but were there any extenuating circumstances to account for an underperformance?
.... and don't know if I would want to put her through the appeal process?
You don't have to tell her!
Etienne
Clarek851

Post by Clarek851 »

ancmic wrote:we have just had our daughters results
this is for Lincs and she scored 210 with a pass mark of 220
she is also eldest in her year, turned 11 at the beginning of September
She has been doing really well with the practice papers and is devastated she isn't going (she drove it and was pushing to go to Grammar school)

at what level would you consider an appeal? I don't think she scored highly enough to merit it and don't know if I would want to put her through the appeal process?

any thoughts greatly received
Hi the Lincs admissions team are really helpful, you could phone or email them or speak with the GS you had in mind for advice, most in my experience with talking to a couple has been great.
Blueberrypie

Post by Blueberrypie »

It might depend on if they fill the full 180 places. On one of the other threads it was discussed that at one school no non-qualification appeals had been granted until last year when they couldn't fill all the places, whereas OOC appeals had some success. It would probably help the moderators if they knew which school you were referring to. Good Luck.
Alex

Post by Alex »

As Etienne says everything really depends on the strength of your individual case, most particularly the academic evidence, but also on the particular school and whether it is oversubscribed. Hard though it is on those who appeal non-qualification in a year when there are also many appealing oversubscription, their chances are statistically not as healthy as when there are places to fill.

I think for most schools in the west of the county you will need a very strong case to persuade a panel to overturn non qualification with this score and that they would possibly look for some extenuating circumstances to explain the shortfall as well as evidence of high academic ability. A couple of schools in the east of the county have had more successful appeals at lower scores.

Your primary school will probably be able to give you a fair idea of how things work in your local area.