The Boy Who "Failed" the 11+ ...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
YoungSuccess

The Boy Who "Failed" the 11+ ...

Post by YoungSuccess »

I am inspired to share this story after reading another story "The tale of a girl" by Tree that has been inspiring others in a few threads.

This story is true, I just heard this this afternoon, and happened in this area (Surrey), hence why I am re-posting this here.

I was at a sports centre this afternoon and sitting next to me was a dad whose child trains in my local club.

"Where is .... (his child's name), I have not seen him train since the start of Sept? ", I asked him.

"Oh, ... (his child's name) has started Uni.. he got Oxford Uni, but he chose ....(another TOP university, better than Oxford for engineering!) instead", he answered.

I knew his son went to a local comp. He went on to tell me that his son "failed" his 11+ and didn't get into the very competitive local grammar school. He went on to do very well at the local comp, then was later accepted by the grammar school for A level.

Last month, he started year one at one of the top universities in the world.

:D

So whatever the outcome, do remember this story.

For good measure and to save you from searching for the other story, I am also re-posting it here.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=27146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link provided by Moderator.
babs

Re: The Boy Who "Failed" the 11+ ...

Post by babs »

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

babs wrote:Awesome story, thanks for sharing.
It is heart warming indeed. I just can't get pass the fact that he turned down Oxford! I couldn't! :lol:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Are Oxbridge good for every subject?
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

He most probably have choose to go to Imperial College in London???
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

tiffinboys wrote:Are Oxbridge good for every subject?
I am sure not TB, but the brand names are just soooo good! When I used to travel abroad on education events, I never get a reaction when I say Imperial College, but just say Oxford or Cambridge and you instantly get ahhh...ooohhhh..uuhhh... :lol:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

It is matter of time, YS. Few more years and all of America would know about the best College other side of the great pond. :lol: :lol:
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Anyone else has stories like this to share?
11plusjourney

Post by 11plusjourney »

I know a family who sent their children, two girls and a boy to the local primary (not outstanding) and then to local comprehensive (not outstanding either). The first finished her Economics degree from LSE, the second is studying to be a Doctor and the third just started her Engineering from Imperial College. None of theme attempted to try for a Grammar school, citing distance issues.