Question for children who took the 11+ in 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
babs

Question for children who took the 11+ in 2013

Post by babs »

Hi There,

I was wondering if parents whose children took the 11+ last year and got through, could tell me what kind of levels their children were at when they took the exams?

Just want to get a bit of an idea for my own DS and if we should consider putting him forward.

Thanks so much in advance.
tiffinboys

Re: Question for children who took the 11+ in 2013

Post by tiffinboys »

If you mean SATs level, then it was level 5 at the end of year 5. But I feel that entrance tests now are even more tougher. Children needs to be even brighter than before. Good Luck.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stummyuk

Post by stummyuk »

DS was a level 5 at the end of year 5. I have a DD going through the exams this year and as TB remarked, the exams have become harder and harder. From experience, the child needs to be strong with English and Maths. With English, having an expansive vocabulary, spot on spelling and grammar. For Maths, found strong mental maths with KS3 material covered.
rejim2

Post by rejim2 »

Was wondering whether top level 5 and KS3 topics are required only for Sutton schools or is this the case across all grammar schools in different areas?

The whole two stage exam seems quite a lot to handle in their age.
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

Both DS and DD were comfortable level 5's at the end of year 5.
In the Sutton grammar schools it would appear that more emphasis is being placed on creative writing and I am of the opinion that is more difficult to tutor. Testing the child's creativity and ability to adapt writing style, so if you are preparing to sit I would spend a lot more time in this area than perhaps focusing on KS3 maths.
babs

Post by babs »

Ok so the general feeling is it is quite tough.

Do any of you know what was tested this year?
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Yes it was tough. DS was Level 5 by end of year 4 (although verbally stated but formally written in 1st term of year 5), represented school, won maths championship, selected for master classes, selected for Level 6 for both subjects, did KS3 materials ...and still he struggled. :lol:
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

Was wondering whether top level 5 and KS3 topics are required only for Sutton schools or is this the case across all grammar schools in different areas?
The only reason this standard is required for Sutton is because Sutton grammars welcome applicants from a vast area and because thousands apply for relatively few spaces. It isn't the schools themselves that dictate the standard. To gain a place requires achieving a higher score than many hundreds of bright and well prepared children therefore the successful candidates are even brighter or even better prepared.

In more fully selective areas, where there are lots of grammar schools, the standard to gain admission may not be so high simply because the schools prioritise local people (so reduce direct competition for places) and have enough room to take many more who pass the test. In some areas the top 20 or 25% of all pupils can go to grammar school whereas in Sutton that is far from the case.

Equally though, there are other regions just like Sutton which are hugely competitive and where the entry standard therefore goes up and up.
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

DS was at Level 5A in English and in Level 6 in Maths.
He did KS3 Materials, Test Papers from Herbs Boys, Merchant Taylor, MGS etc.
Last edited by CoolParent123 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now