Anxious son from Gotherington to STRS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinnyknickers

Anxious son from Gotherington to STRS

Post by Tinnyknickers »

DS hoping to secure his place at Tommies as he is placed 135. He was adamant last week that if he didn't get into Pate's he was not going to the local school - after the open evening , he said he didn't like 'the atmosphere'. Now he is anxious about travelling to Tommie's, about it being too rugby orientated when he is into his football, and about it being boys only. He hasn't been to our local primary school either and is concerned about not knowing anyone here or there! We are going to the Open day next week so he can reassure himself about 'the atmosphere' but can anyone reassure me / him about the other points?
DC17C

Re: Anxious son from Gotherington to STRS

Post by DC17C »

I would not worry about not knowing anyone most boys will be in the same situation. The schools are very good at settling everyone in. I thought perhaps my ds was perhaps lucky to have 2 boys from his class go with him to Crypt but to be honest he does not see much of them and he has made different friends. My DD was the same at Ribston.
Iona

Post by Iona »

My nephew is now in Y9 at STRS, he is into football and not into rugby. He still plays football with the same team he has played for since he was at primary school at the weekends. He only knew one other boy when he went to Tommies. He has made a great group of friends, strangely enough they all play rugby and he doesn't. Makes no odds to their friendship group. :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

My sons dislike both rugby and football equally and are very happy at Tommies. Every child is anxious on moving to secondary school, even though some barely show it. The pastoral care at STRS is second to none and huge efforts are made to settle them in in Y7. Try not to worry- it's ages away yet and while saying 'he will be fine' sounds like a platitude, it is also more than likely to be true. :D
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

My son dislikes Rugby and Football but loves Tommies. He has made friends in different years due to the bus travel, he has made friends in his classes from all over the county and he is involved with clubs he enjoys. There are lots of boys with lots of interests outside of school and in Games if they are not in the top rugby group then they get a chance to play lots of other sports instead, which is what happens with DS.