Stroud High or Ribston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
clarcats

Stroud High or Ribston

Post by clarcats »

Any thoughts?
My daughter is in top 120 for Stroud High and top 114 for Ribston.
Have looked at Ribston today and have to say it had a nice 'feel' to it. Looked at Stroud High last year so will need to look again but interested to see what people's thoughts are on the two schools.
Thanks
Amber

Re: Stroud High or Ribston

Post by Amber »

I think these kind of questions are so so hard. I am possibly unusual in that I have experience of both of these schools in a professional capacity, and formed a fairly clear preference - if it were my own daughter and all other things being equal I know which one I would choose (and I'm not saying!). But who is to say that my opinion is valid? Parents of children at each school will all have views, and if they are on this forum, they are likely to be pretty positive ones at a guess. I would say what I said to the poster on the STRS/Crypt thread - one of these must be geographically more sensible for you and I would strongly suggest you go for that one. The national curriculum will be delivered by each, and both are all girls' schools. As you have got that far, and are happy - make life easy for your family and choose the nearest one. :D
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Oh Amber you tease!!!
justbehappy

Post by justbehappy »

We're in the same dilemma - with Pates thrown in too. I found this post whilst searching for views. Probably all still relevant - http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 16&t=17144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seeing Pates for the first time tomorrow. SHS is our personal benchmark at the moment.
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:Oh Amber you tease!!!
Happily I think you are the first man ever to say that to me. :wink:

I do think subjecting children to massively long journeys is never a good thing, particularly when there isn't much to choose between establishments. Given that these schools are all known to be pretty good, who is to say that this sports field or that drama studio would mean more than being home at a decent time and having an extra half an hour in bed every day?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

:oops: posted twice so deleted this one
Last edited by Stressed?Moi? on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

On behalf of my Year 9 dd, it has to be Ribston :D .
Seriously though I can't speak highly enough of the school. It does have the reputation for dance, drama and humanities, but for me it's been the pastoral care which I've been impressed with. Their patience with teenage girls' angst knows no bounds!

I would echo Amber's comment ref travel. Dd buses it from Cheltenham and leaves at 7.45 and gets back about 4.10. I really wouldn't want her to spend any longer than that.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Removed because I was being unfair..
justbehappy

Post by justbehappy »

I wholly agree re distance and journey times. That's why our decision is so hard - it's pretty much even as various changes are being made to make it so.
clarcats

Post by clarcats »

We're in Stroud but up a big hill, if we do Ribston it will be a lift down the hill (or bus if there is one that early) then a straight forward bus to Ribston from town. If we do Stroud High, it'll be a longer walk or a bus down the hill and a walk- I won't be able to offer a lift down at that time of the morning.

I'm interested in support for the 'whole child' and how the schools deal with any issues that come up along the way, being a teenager isn't easy! What impressed me about the local comprehensive school was their learning support department (amongst other things of course) where I got the impression that they really did care about the individual child and wanted to be known to be approachable for any reason. My daughter isn't musical or particularly into dance.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now