Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jayzee1

Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Post by jayzee1 »

Hello

New to this forum

Dd didn't pass kent but got following scores

Maths 106
English 101
Reasoning 111

Total 318

Now I don't know if school did a hta as I have tried twice to get hold of them and no luck. My question is she missed 5 marks to score minimum on the English..This is usually her best subject and is currently 4 a or b I think. Is it worth appealing in March? Hta assessment has now passed? Has anyone got any experience of child missing 5 marks and still going to Grammar through appeal or hta? So confused by this all. Live in Dartford. Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks
relaxedMum77

Re: Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Post by relaxedMum77 »

sorry to hear that :( I'm no expert but there seems to be quite a high number who got overall scores of 340-360 that did not pass as they were below 106 on one section. So i would say probably not worth appealing :?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

You don't have anything to lose by appealing, but everything to gain - a grammar school place. It may be a long shot but how would you feel if you don't try?

What school(s) are you hoping for? Someone with more experience of the particular school(s) may be able to give you more advice.

You will need to gather plenty of evidence of your DC's ability, CAT and SAT scores etc. Did it go to HT appeal? If so, what was the reason it was turned down at that appeal? Will your HT support an appeal if you go ahead with one?

How many appeals were there for the school you want last year, how many were successful? Have they taken over PAN in the past and if so by how many?

Do you have a back up plan?
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Thanks twinkles..i was hoping for Dartford Grammar Girls.. not sure if ht did a hta as they don't answer the phone at all for me to ask them. I think Primary deputy will support case as Head teacher is off sick at the moment. Thanks for input..keeps me positive..lots to be said for hope....
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi..I know of several children over the last few years who have had appeals upheld and been more than 5 marks off. But it always depends of course on each individual case. If you find out that your ht appealed I would advise asking for a copy of the headteacher review panels comments from your ht if you decide to appeal. It also depends on the school you want....if you let us know someone will quite possibly be able to give you more info to help you decide x
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Thanks tigger2 was thinking dartford girls grammar but we also have wilmington grammar girls too. I live 4 mins from dartford grammar walking it..... keep thinking 5 is so high to be off the mark. Dd worked her socks off like other children....just feel so sad for her :(
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

I would say 100% worth appealing, you'll never know if you don't try. My DS got a pass on HTA, he only scored 84 in English, don't even ask, I've no idea at all went wrong, he's not at all bad at it usually. Anyway, I'm very thankful that obviously our headteacher has noticed his potential perhaps and had enough evidence to gain him a pass through appeal, we're very lucky. I would personally suggest what I'm going to do and (lightly, he's worked hard enough ha ha) work with him at home on sats type English work to make sure levels are a firm 5 before I may have to attend any appeals, that way you can prove that they're more than capable? That's what I'll be doing. All the best to you!
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

P.s. meant to say, DS finished yr5 on level 4A reading, 4b writing, just to give you an idea, sounds like similar levels?
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Frustratedmum wrote:I would say 100% worth appealing, you'll never know if you don't try. My DS got a pass on HTA, he only scored 84 in English, don't even ask, I've no idea at all went wrong, he's not at all bad at it usually. Anyway, I'm very thankful that obviously our headteacher has noticed his potential perhaps and had enough evidence to gain him a pass through appeal, we're very lucky. I would personally suggest what I'm going to do and (lightly, he's worked hard enough ha ha) work with him at home on sats type English work to make sure levels are a firm 5 before I may have to attend any appeals, that way you can prove that they're more than capable? That's what I'll be doing. All the best to you!
Thanks!! Has this just happened now? On this round of 11 plus? X
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Gosh yes similar levels...maths is her weakness and she got 106 and English her strongest and yet achieved lower....who knows what happens on test day x