What is the average score (range)?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SAM I AM

What is the average score (range)?

Post by SAM I AM »

Morning all, just registered although I have been reading various threads for some time.

Later today our DS will hold an envelope and before openning it will ask me what score I expect. Our DS had quite a difficult start but in years 4 and 5 has been flying. So I genuinely don't expect him to pass. I wanted to understand broadly what the average score is and top 40% and top 30%. Any feedback today would be appreciated.

I want today to be a positive experience for our DS. He has made fantastic progress and want some other metrics to talk about rather than simply the 121.
Sally-Anne

Re: What is the average score (range)?

Post by Sally-Anne »

SAM I AM wrote:I wanted to understand broadly what the average score is and top 40% and top 30%.
The average score is 100 - that is what the process of standardisation is all about.

The top 30% are those that the Bucks system is designed to select, and therefore they will score 121+.

Off the top of my head, I would guess that the top 40% would be scoring in the region of 110+.
gameon

Post by gameon »

Will 121 still qualify or 121+???
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The qualifying score is 121.
gameon

Post by gameon »

Thanks Sally.. Phew !!! for a min, I thought another extra marks needed to qualify ;)
Can't wait any more!! What a pain!!! I thought I was calm until this morning!! I should've gone to work!!!
SAM I AM

Post by SAM I AM »

I read that many hundreds of children from other counties have taken the Bucks test (which I am OK with) in which case 121 is more likely to represent the top 25% or 20%. Out of county children I would anticipate were being well tutored and focused and most likely to achieve above average scores.

Our DS's school doesn't acheive anywhere near to a 30% pass rate (and there is no known contamination of ground water that would reduce the academic potential of these children!). So a score of 121 in our DS's school signifies an academic potential higher than top 30%

So if our DS scores 105 or 110 what is the best interpretation? It is important for our DS's confidence to not downplay his acheivement.

Good luck to everybody.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sadly your interpretation is correct. 121 for a Bucks-resident child will be roughly in the top 25%, depending on how many out-of-county pupils took the test this year. I am fervently hoping that it will be fewer than last year.

If your son scores over 100 he has exceeded the Bucks average by some margin, but I simply can't be more specific than that. Even once we see the numbers (which will be months from now) it will be nearly impossible to make an accurate guess.
SAM I AM

Post by SAM I AM »

Thanks SallyI feel more prepared now.

Whilst I have your attention can you clarify the sub-scores. If (example) my DS scores 100 would I expect to see three sub-scores of (i) English 50, (ii) Maths 30 and (iii) NVR 20 if he were equally gifted on all subjects. Meaning the three sub-scored are added to give the final score 50+30+20=100. On this basis if our DS scores 100 but with a (say) NVR sub-score of 25 it would mean he is above average on that section?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, that's correct.
SAM I AM

Post by SAM I AM »

Example continued: an English sub-score of 55 (means 5 points above the average of 50 which is 10% above average); whereas an NVR sub-score of 25 (again means 5 points above the average but in this case the average is 20 so the score is 25% above average)?

I need to be precise and positive later today. Really appreciate your feedback.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now