Form preferences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PurpleDog

Form preferences

Post by PurpleDog »

Can someone please explain to me how the school preferences work as I am confused.
We asked at Weald of Kent this morning but are none the wiser as I'm sure they want to make sure you put them first.

We have a chance of getting in to TGS on score 381.

We also have a chance of getting in to Weald of Kent on Catchment.

What happens if we put TGS first and don't get in on score?
Will we have to rely on waiting list for Weald?

Equally vice versa, if we put Weald first and miss out on catchment but could have got into TGS on score.

Someone mentioned equal preference but how does that work?

Many thanks,
Kentishmaid

Re: Form preferences

Post by Kentishmaid »

Put them in your genuine preferred order - if youput TOGS first and dont qualify, you will have the same chance at Weald as if you had put it first - the schools do not know where you have placed them.

If you put Weald first, and live close enough, you wont be offfered TOGs even if your score is high enough, as you have already had your first preference.

Always put your genuine preferred order down,
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

You cannot "lose" a place at a school just because you haven't put it first. You can only "lose" a place at a school that you would otherwise have been offered if you have been offered a place at a school that YOU have placed above it on the CAF.

So let's say that you get high enough for TOGS and also qualify for Weald on Catchment.
If you place Weald first and TOGS 2nd, you will only get a place at Weald, because it is your first choice.
If your place TOGS first, and Weald 2nd, you will only get a place at TOGS, because it is your first choice.

If your score isn't high enough for TOGS:
If you place Weald first and TOGS 2nd, you will only get a place at Weald, because it is your first choice.
If your place TOGS first, and Weald 2nd, you will get a place at Weald. You first preference school was unable to offer you so gets ignored, and your second preference school gets bumped up your list.

No school admission policy can prioritise candidates who put them first, nor can a school discriminate against candidates who don't put them 1st, 2nd or 3rd. You might only be eligible for one of your choices, you might be eligible for all 4 of your choices in which case only the highest preferred one will count. Yes, a lot of maths is involved, in terms of rearranging ranked lists, but it isn't as bad as you think as 70%+ of children get their 1st choice of schools.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

Thanks so much for your replies.

I'm not even going to try to understand how that might work - it must be a nightmare of juggling.

Off to TGS next week and then will see what we think, although DD has already decided she likes WOK.